What kind of tree is this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

Hello all. I noticed that the city was cutting down a tree and asked if I could get some of it and they said yes:biggrin: well one said it was a sycamore but the rest was unsure. Can y'all determine which kind it is. Thanks in advance

P.S. I will also need advice on best drying method and cutting method.

Attachments

• 2011-10-21_11-15-08_547.jpg
    2011-10-21_11-15-08_547.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

99.99999% sure it is Sycamore from what I can tell. Very nice to turn and on some pieces I see has a very nice and small chatoyency. I consider it like a Maple on Pens. Hard to see the character on something so small. I am thinking about doing one and trying some dye to see if I can get the curl to pop.

Justturnin

I would de-pith some and set it outside in the shade off the ground covered in leves and see if it will spalt. The wood is soft and should only take a few monts for some amazing wood.

Justturnin

HAHAHA. I struggled with that as well. The pith is the center of the log where the Growth Rings begin as well as 99% of checks. I set the log on its side supported on a saw buck and cut about 3/4" to the left of the pith w/ my chainsaw all the way to the other side of the log leaving about 1/2" so the side stays standing. Then I go 3/4" to the right of the pith and saw down to about 1/4" from going all the way through then I just start nipping away until one side falls and I did it right the other side should be cut enough to pull it apart. Now you will have two 1/2 logs and one piece about 1.5" thick containging the Pith. I take that to my band saw and cut 3/4" on both sides of the pith and get it out of there. Set it to the side and watch it crack while the rest stays the course. So now out of that log you only lost 1.5" sq which is not usable anyway.

sumterdad

:confused:That sounds like a good video tutorial. Cause I think I know what you said but but not sure if I took all of it in.:confused:

sumterdad

I wish I knew the different trees. I just see a cut tree and say oooo ooooo I wonder how many pen blanks I can get out of that. I just rely on the knowledgeable experts here to help me till I learn them.

bruce119

sycamore for sure. Makes beautiful vaneers and bowls.

I agree Sycamore for sure. The patchy smooth bark is a dead give-a-way and the big broad leaves are similar to a large maple leaf. Sycamore turns great and has a very distinct chartreuse pattern usually fairly light in color depending on age.

Top Bottom