What kind of burl?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from glycerine

glycerine

Ok, to make it even harder, there are no pics! Long story short, I bought some root burl. I think may be malle, but not sure. The guy I got it from said that it was from Australia and it was sometimes called a "brain root". And it did look alot like a brain! Any idea what it is for sure? I started to cut it up, and when applying some danish oil, it had a nice reddish tint, so I'm thinking it might be red malle...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Well, I guess he could have been wrong about where it came from, but it's definitely burl. And definitely looks like it is from the root, either of a bush, or small tree.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Could be jarrah as well....never thought about it, but that stuff has holes and stuff in it and looks like brains after a while.....

glycerine

Could be jarrah as well....never thought about it, but that stuff has holes and stuff in it and looks like brains after a while.....

Jarrah and Amboyna are the same, right? You could be right. It's very light until you put a finish on it. And with some Danish Oil on it, it does look alot like amboyna. I finally got some pics of it...

Russianwolf

I think that is a Briar Burl.

Brain... Briar.... I could see the confusion in the name even.

The couple pieces that I have are very light without a finish, and the pipes I've seen made from them look like your finished pieces.

David Keller

I agree with the briar burl. Amboyna has such a distinct smell(sweet and pleasant) that you could tell right away. Also, every amboyna burl that I've seen has had a contrasting sapwood layer near the edges which I don't see on those pieces. Whatever it is, it's nice looking.

glycerine

I agree with the briar burl. Amboyna has such a distinct smell(sweet and pleasant) that you could tell right away. Also, every amboyna burl that I've seen has had a contrasting sapwood layer near the edges which I don't see on those pieces. Whatever it is, it's nice looking.

Yeah, I've noticed that alot of other burls I've seen have lighter sapwood at the edges. This one seems to be uniform in color all over...

chrisk

I come from a region, in Greece, which, a few years ago, was harvesting quite a lot of briar. The wood was sent to a pipe manufacture in the port of Patras (NW of Peloponnese).
Your piece of wood looks like briar: color, texture, specific defects,... I've attached some pics (certainly not of my best ones...) of a piece of briar. Look also at the pen. Your piece of briar is clearly more figured than mine. When I finished the pen I thought: what a mess! But, while this was finished to a satin gloss, I found out that by looking at the pen to a low-angle light, it was plenty of 3-D effects.
My next attempt with briar will certainly go through a CA finish. I'm really curious to see the final product.

@glycerine
Your piece of wood seems really outstanding. I think you'll be surprised after finishing a pen from that wood.

PS: apologies for my English.

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 108
  • _DSC0074.jpg