What is your take on Medical Marijuana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

Could day folks.

Moderators, if this is not permitted please let me

I'm a 60 yr old man, have 3 herniated disk in the the thoracic of my back. I have gone through the gamete, from simple pain meds, to having 4 computer chips with wires and a battery surgically implemented, and to opioids.

The opioids gave me kidney failure and was admitted to the hospital. When I got my senses back, I told the Doc's to get me off of them.
Now that I am more than 3/4's of the way off of them, I'm in horrific pain again.

Now that Pa has made into law that permits medical marijuana, I will be seeking a Dr. to subscribe it for me

My question is : has anyone have any "legal" experience with this product.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Gimpy, it's time to see if you can become a Canadian citizen, come next July !st, it will be sold in all of the liquor stores.
No all kidding aside, I can't help with the laws and whatever in the states. But I can let you know how wonderful the medical mary jane, helps with dibilitating pain. I'm suffered for fifteen years with back and leg issues, it was so bad, that I was put on continual suicide watch. There had to be someone with me at all times,it was a real pain for all involved. I was using 60mgs of morephine three times a day. And the pain was still unbearable, eventually, they prescribed the medical pot. I've had great results since I started taking/using it. It doesn't take the pain away, but it does make the pain bearable. There is a few issues when using it, the biggest one is driving under the influence. Then there is the appetite thing, and the not being cautious enough and overdoing it. Which will start the viscous cycle all over again, so beware.
Len

dogcatcher

I had my first of many back surgeries in 1981. Finally in 1999 it became a spinal cord compression and resulted in partial paralysis. That cured my pain, I have little feeling so meds or marijuana is a non issue for me. But if the compression had not taken place, I would try the marijuana. I don't believe it is the miracle a lot think it is, but I believe does help a lot of people.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A local conservative radio talk host is very law and order. Dead against legalizing any drugs.

Then, his wife got cancer.

She has passed away, but his attitude toward medical marijuana has softened considerably. It was the only way his wife found relief.

Like many things in life, your attitude can be swayed considerably, based on your personal experiences.

I sincerely wish you good health or at least a pain-free life. Whatever that may take.

MRDucks2

Not pain related but I do know of someone who is using marijuana, taking what is referred to as "micro puffs" in order to deal with the side effects of chemo. Several months into the chemo and no sickness. Speaks a lot for that application.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I work at a cancer clinic (pharmacy, I mix the chemos) and I'm all for it. I couldn't count how many patients have expressed the pain relief they get from it without having to resort to highly addictive and far more dangerous drugs like demerol, morphine, dilaudid, fentanyl, oxycontin, etc., along with the added benefit of it increasing their appetite. Keep in mind that while smoking it has a much faster onset, consumables are a safer way of ingestion and may be better for pain relief. As for the legalities, that varies by state. Get familiar with the laws for your state so you don't inadvertently break any. I truly hope it brings you the relief you need.

WriteON

My take. The cash registers are ringing. The reefer Doctors are gearing up. The abusers are licking their chops. I think the country has lost it's mind. Try a different avenue for pain relief.

Not pain related but I do know of someone who is using marijuana, taking what is referred to as "micro puffs" in order to deal with the side effects of chemo. Several months into the chemo and no sickness. Speaks a lot for that application.

I work at a cancer clinic (pharmacy, I mix the chemos) and I'm all for it. I couldn't count how many patients have expressed the pain relief they get from it without having to resort to highly addictive and far more dangerous drugs like demerol, morphine, dilaudid, fentanyl, oxycontin, etc., along with the added benefit of it increasing their appetite. Keep in mind that while smoking it has a much faster onset, consumables are a safer way of ingestion and may be better for pain relief. As for the legalities, that varies by state. Get familiar with the laws for your state so you don't inadvertently break any. I truly hope it brings you the relief you need.

Then, his wife got cancer.
Like many things in life, your attitude can be swayed considerably, based on your personal experiences.
I sincerely wish you good health or at least a pain-free life. Whatever that may take.
Excuse my original post as per my take on pot. For this application I'm all for it. Also..My buddies wife had ALS...suffered badly. Could not get legal medical herb. Could have used it. Controlled doses (micro puffs) are one thing. Blowing a J and driving, using machinery are another. Good luck to you gimpy...hope you can find relief. Being in constant pain is no way to live.

Last edited:

Ambidex

I'd say if you give it a try and find relief then good for you. You wouldn't be putting the question out here in this forum if you were asking our opinions on recreational use. As one that's been through cancer and understands what pain can be like, that's a decision that is reserved for you and you only. If someone else knows exactly what your pain is like, which they don't, then they can judge away.

robutacion

Oh boy, you certainly know well the Devil "pain".

I'm certainly very familiar with it and if it ever gets legalised here, I will certainly try it out, what do I have to lose, really...?

Hope you find "something" that eases your pain/s

Cheers
George

RobS

Hi Gimpy,

A relative of mine has 6 bad discs and uses medical MJ for the pain. Quite frankly it is better than the other other crazy stuffy like oxy and the rest they keep trying to force on him. It helps, it does not out right stop the pain but it makes life more bearable, he has been like that now for 29 years. Breaks my hear every time I see him.

Good luck.

pshrynk

I've had a few patients on the oil. For some it works, for others not so much. The research is showing that the CBD is probably more medicinal that the THC, which is what the oils are more abundant in. My dog is taking some CBD enriched biscuits and she seems to be in less pain from her arthritis.

BeeAMaker

Go for it.

I know of a person who used it in replacement of Kemo. The doctors said she *might* live another year with Kemo, 2 months top without. Of course the Doctors tried talking her into Kemo anyways (go figure). She opted out and started smoking "the good stuff". She passed about 4 years later, 3 years and 10 month longer than the Doc gave her. (and this was back in the 80's) The better part was she was able to continue living on her savings and the hospitals didn't suck it all up and put her in debt. (no I'm not advocating you by-bass medical treatments)

If you research the history of cannabis you will find that it really is no more harmful than Alcohol. You don't have to smoke it, so you can even by-pass the carcinogens from the smoke, which even that isn't as near as bad as cigarettes. You will also find the real reason it is illegal in the first place. I won't spoil that for you, but has a lot to do with Corporate greed (big surprise right), so much so that even the cannabis without the THC is illegal.

For years Doctors swore it had 0 medical use. Doc's now are starting to change that outlook. Many now agree that there is some medical purpose ranging from relief of pain, nausea, Vision problem, Kemo effects and and even heart disease. Unfortunately the pharmaceuticals are currently working with congress on how to maximize these profits. You will soon see more states legalize medical use, more states will legalize recreational use and prices will skyrocket from government regulation and involvement - they want their slice of the pie.

By the way - there are versions of it that will give you the benefits you seek without giving you the "High".

Last edited:

zig613

If it works use it. Life is too short to be in that much pain when there are other non-traditional supplements vs. traditional pain medications to ease the pain. We are fortunate in Ontario where it has been available for medical purposes for a number of years. Soon to be become legal for recreational use next year. A friend in his early 60's who was recently diagnosed with ALS takes the oil based formula and finds it is very helpful/effective.

Wade

Terredax

Banned
It's legal in MI and a gentleman I deal with, has his medical card that allows a certain number of plants that can be grown,and he produces his own oil and some type of wax. He also uses it in his culinary dishes. This prevents him from having to inhale it which aggravates his COPD. He states that it helps him greatly.

One has to do what is necessary to eliminate pain.

tbroye

I would like to see the Medical profession control like other medicine not the quack Dr's and Medical Pot places on every corner. I know big Pharma is probably against it. Next month California start recreational Pot. should be fun.Three houses that back to my place have all been busted for illegal pot grow houses twice. There is going to be a war out here and it all about money

Terredax

Banned
Once it's legalized for recreational use, there wouldn't be any wars over it or money. Everyone that partakes, will grow their own.
The government tries to regulate it, but how does one prove where their particular supply comes from?
In MI, people grow it and sell it to dispensaries. From my understanding, it's fairly easy to obtain a medical card. It seems to just be a formality.

I prefer to see H.R. 38 passed, as opposed to recreational use of cannabis being passed.

GaryMGg

Instead of making the product illegal, we should be concerned about actual harm.
We should have stiff penalties for someone using it who harms another.
No harm, no foul.
If you try it, I hope you find pain relief.

Cmiles1985

I've known several people to use medical marijuana, and quite a few that use it recreationally. Conservatives try to make it sound like some scary drug that will lead you into the "hard stuff." Obviously, you're already on opioids for the pain. That is "the hard stuff," and it is far more detrimental to the systems in your body than the components of marijuana. The only harmful effects of marijuana come with smoking it (inhaling combusted organic compounds of any kind is not lung-friendly). As stated above, you likely won't find yourself 100% pain-free, but you will at least be more comfortable, especially when it comes to sleeping/end of the day.

I don't partake personally (since about 2009) as it's not legal in Texas, and my job depends on being "drug-free," but I would definitely use marijuana just to help me sleep.

Also, for reference, my educational background is in chemistry, specifically biochemistry and the chemistry of drugs, toxins and natural products.

edicehouse

From what I have read the side effects are less than drinking alcohol, and I have seen many people get so mad about the thought of it being legalized in any shape or form while they drink their bud light and smoke their cigarette.

I don't believe it is a cure all, but if it helps someone suffering and they are not hurting anyone else, fine by me. Puff Puff Pass.

Dehn0045

I will preface with the fact that I've never tried marijuana in any form, but 100% support its use. Be aware that the biochemistry of the exact same weed is different whether it is smoked or eaten. In general, eating will be more intense, last longer, but will take longer to take effect. Also, be aware that it can cause paranoia in some people. I have known people that used it regularly during the most painful periods of chemo treatment, but discontinued due to paranoia that it caused. Good luck, and I hope you find relief.

TonyL

My wife and I founded Al-Anon at our church after a family member succumbed to addiction. We have see it (med mj, pharm drugs, and everything in between..incl hand sanitizer) destroy lives and families as well as help others. I don't see how I can have an absolute opinion on this having seen its potential to destroy and help (of course I am talking about medical mj) . Maybe that is the case with any substance. I don't know. I guess (and I am not sure) it is a decision between the likelihood of addiction and the need to relieve one's pain, illness, etc. I do thank God daily that I don't have to make that decision for myself or anyone else. I hope who ever is in pain finds relief safely.

tbroye

I would be OK with it, if it was dispensed differently and under strict medical supervision. They it is now it is just a cash cow for unethical Doctors and Politicians.

Top Bottom