What is the difference between Acrylic, Alumilite, Polyester Resins for turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gebx

I have been trying to look at all of the materials that on the market for turning pens and have found the above three most often. What are the best for turning and which ones are the best to use for castng myself?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I would forget the word Acrylic, because I think that refers to anything plastic. Plastic=acrylic.
The best options for home brew are Polyester Resin, or Urethane Resin. There are several brands of each. Alumilite is a Urethane resin. The both have there rightful places, they have different strengths and weaknesses, and those are easiest discovered when actually casting something, be it something placed on a tube, or something placed in a mold. For casting just a resin blank only, they both are pretty equal in my opinion, but for just brewing plastic blanks with different swirly colors and such, PR is going to be the most economical. It is my opinion that where you really find the difference is when it comes to casting actual items. If you want to cast labels or skins on to tubes, PR is by far superior over Urethane. If you want to cast sponges, pine cones, wood, basically these are suspended type objects, then urethane is a far superior product.

endacoz

Thanks for the information!

The link seems broken. I'd like to find it if anyone knows where I could find this info.

Last edited:
Top Bottom