My attempt at casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

OK, I've been watching more videos on YT, with several being about casting. A lot of them recommend getting the resin from Michael's craft store using the coupon, along with getting Jacquard stamping micas. There were some other powders in the same isle, so I got a little variety. The cost was much less than I expected, and using the coupons, made it even better. I gathered the materials over a few weeks, with both my wife and I purchasing an item each visit, since they only allow one item per coupon per person.
When I opened the can of resin---WOW! What a horrible smell! After only being in the area for a very short time, I developed a headache and was coughing. I opened the doors and turned on a fan. That seemed to help a little bit, but if I decide to continue casting, I will definitely be acquiring a respirator.
Anyway, I did manage to cast a square of this stinky material. I will let you judge the outcome. I believe it could be better, and hope the next attempt will be.

The top picture is the bottom, and the second picture is the edge.

Attachments

• 1st Cast.jpg
    1st Cast.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Olsarge

looks interesting, hope to see a pen from it. You really need to cast in an area that has good ventilation. I usually do it in my shop with a fan blowing across the work bench. Not the ideal way, but it works for me. Dennis

Fay Prozora

That could turn into an interesting pen. WE don't have a Michael's over here but we do have a little hobby store in town but their goods are over priced for my taste. I plan to be wearing a mask when I do my casting also but my stuff doesn't have that bad of an odor, in fat I can't smell it. I have been using the alumilite stuff. Fay

79spitfire

You know, I like it. I think it will make a stunning pen. Can you describe the process? The only thing I see that might be a concern, is it maybe heavy on the pearl colors.

Next step, turn a pen and see how it polishes up!

Lenny

It is a polyester resin (PR) and, as you have discovered, the fumes are toxic. You really need to have adequate ventilation or wear a suitable mask, OR BOTH!
You also need temperatures above 6o degrees.
I think that is a great first cast! Like you, when I first started I would cast a "brick" and then cut into blanks. I soon decided I was wasting alot of resin doing it that way and switched to pouring into 3/4 inch PVC pipe.
Look forward to seeing a pen from that cast!

BSea

That looks like an excellent cast. The fact that it's your 1st is really impressive. I think your separation is perfect. If your colors dissolved, and set up correctly, you don't have too much mica powder. If you don't have enough color, then your blanks will looked a little washed out when they are turned down. But those look vibrant to me.

H2O

Thanks for the feedback.

I personally like how sparkly the colors appear, and they are also very vibrant.
I've seen other places listed to acquire more of the powdered colors, but at this point, I don't see a need for any additional colors.
I might not even continue along the casting path after I use up this can of resin. It will depend on how it works for my intended purpose.

This won't make it into a pen. I have other plans for it and it was made specific for another project.

turncrazy43

Check out Woodnwhimsies.com for your PR. I think the price is pretty good.

Top Bottom