What is it? (And what should I do with it?)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

When my dad died 18 years ago, I inherited his shop equipment and a whole bunch of oddball pieces of wood. Going through a box this week I ran across these two pieces of what I assume are some type of root. Any idea what they might be (looks like they may have been purchased)? Also, what am I supposed to do with them?

The pen is included just to give an idea of the dimensions.

Attachments

• Whatisit1.jpg
    Whatisit1.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 303
  • whatisit2.jpg
    whatisit2.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 313
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

They do look like some sort of burls or some such thing. Why not cut them and put them in to a mold and cast them like worthless wood? The one with the pen on it looks large enough to turn a small bowl out of or a tea light or other small project. Good luck what ever you do with them. Fay

CREID

When my dad died 18 years ago, I inherited his shop equipment and a whole bunch of oddball pieces of wood. Going through a box this week I ran across these two pieces of what I assume are some type of root. Any idea what they might be (looks like they may have been purchased)? Also, what am I supposed to do with them?

The pen is included just to give an idea of the dimensions.
Don't feed them after midnight and whatever you do, never get them wet.
Curt

KenV

manzanita root burl (Burr in British terminology - fancy grain but not eyes)

Still being sold. Turns well except for rocks that can be included in the roots. Cut into pen blanks it will be very nice to spectacular. Irregular shape allows lots of "worthless wood" opportunities.

There are YouTube and gallery options with a google search.

Those should be nice and dry with little moisture movement --

79spitfire

I agree, those are manzanita root burls. The one appears to be a great pen stand as is! They make great, and very stunning 'worthless wood' candidates, or they can be left as is. If you do cut them, be aware, they can hide rocks.

Top Bottom