What is Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm not new to wood...but I am new (well fairly new) to pen turning. What exactly is Burl....what part of the tree does it come from? What does it look like on the tree?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Burl = Tree Warts...

pine-burl-hot-springs-03.jpg

Also often the root balls underground, and anywhere else the tree grows in strange shapes.

Last edited:

broitblat

I don't really know the answer, but I like to think of burl as analogous to a pearl. An oyster makes a pearl by coating a foreign particle that's become an irritant. I'd like to think a tree similarly makes something beautiful out of something negative (disease? pests? ??)

-Barry

Rfturner

Burl is when the wood forms an irregular spot in the grain. Scientist believe that the enviorment plays a big part such as pesticides, water amounts, contaminents in the water supply, components of the soil Etc. No one is exactly sure what causes it but I love to use it and God can keep making it

Parson

Just the other day I saw a lovely 3 foot "goiter" of a burl on a post oak in midtown Houston. I really, REALLY wanted to sneak back down there with a big chain saw and relieve the tree of that burl.

Boy howdy that would have made a bunch of nice bowls and pens!!!!!!!

Its basically a mass of buds that may be dormant for long periods of time.They grow on top of each other to form a mass called a burl.They can happen any place on a tree but are most often in the fist 6-8' from the ground.I just harvested some Russian olive trees that have small burl masses all up and down the trunk as high up as 15' in the air.Hope that helps,Victor

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just the other day I saw a lovely 3 foot "goiter" of a burl on a post oak in midtown Houston. I really, REALLY wanted to sneak back down there with a big chain saw and relieve the tree of that burl.

Boy howdy that would have made a bunch of nice bowls and pens!!!!!!!
You ought to see the ones on the Rice University campus.

Parson

ooh Monty, I am sure you are right. I'm glad I have not gone down there. Imagine the trouble I'd get into if I starting cutting on one of those old post oaks on the Rice campus!

Top Bottom