What is Alternative Ivory made out of?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

What material is alternative ivory made out of? I just turned a pen using it and as I've read about, it was chipping a lot. I decided to see if I could use sand paper to turn it down. Thought that might be easier, but that was to slow. I noticed though that when I went back to my chisel the alternative ivory had heated up and was turning great, like butter. I'm think about doing that from here on out, but I was wondering if it is ok to do that, or will heating it up with sand paper and then using a chisel to turn it cause some unforseen problems?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I've seen acrylic-like materials called Alternative Ivory and I've heart Tagua nuts called that as well. To which are you referring? The answer may vary depending on to which material you are referring.

gerryr

The big question, since you got it from CSUSA, is did you follow their instructions about turning speed? If you did, that is your problem. I tried it at their recommended speed and had a disaster. It turned just fine when I increased the speed on my lathe to around 2400 rpm, or whatever the second highest speed on a 6-speed Jet Mini is. Lou says he turns the stuff at the highest speed.

les-smith

I swear I saw a vortex while I was turning mine. But, I think IMHO that for myself I liked the way it turned after it heated up from sanding on it. Does anyone else feel the same?

Russb

I hesitate to say use sharp tools because I've never heard anyone suggest dull tools. Proper tool technique is very important. When using a gouge bevel rubbing is very important. Heating up the material is not proper technique. When proper technique is used the chipping should give way to shavings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom