CONVERTIBLE PENS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz Lang

Made a couple of Convertible Pens, flat tops from Rockler. From what I can figure out, the pen tops are held (friction fit) to the transmission which is made of plastic. This is a nice looking kit, and I want to use it for a fund raiser. However the tops seem to be a potential problem waiting to happen. The first one I made seemed to have a poor interface and is a bit wobbly. I took great pains with the second and alas; it too is the same. While barely noticable, I do notice. I see it as a big potential return issue. I hope I am doing something wrong, I like the kit. Any insight will be welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

This is the same as the Berea Perfect Fit. I've noticed that the upper tube is longer than it really needs to be, probably 1/32 - 1/16". IIRC, the tenon is 1/4", so make sure youcut the tenon long enough. I've not had any problems with these kits and like them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree with Gerry, with a slight modification. The upper barrel material (as opposed to the tube) HAS to be the right length. (I use a guage to measure exactly). The tube, once the material is parted off, has at least a quarter inch of exposed brass, I cut that down to about 1/8" and make sure to part the material at a slight angle inward, so I can put CA on the "tenon" of brass tube and it will allow the centerband to get flush.

Then, when you assemble, the plastic transmission is completely engaged by the hardware that comes through the clip retainer.

There are still times this will fail (turn freely) at a show, in spite of the fact it worked when assembled. I am NOT a fan of the kit for this reason. I have made about a hundred of them and find about a 30% (estimated) "freewheel" rate.

If it matters, all my kits are chrome or TN Gold.

Fritz Lang

I am using the 'b' mandrel, and rockler bushings. they have a .250" spacer that fits over the brass, allowing the top/cap to be cut a 1/4" shorter than the tube.(like that-saves wood) Everything fits nice; yet the transmission seems to be a little sloppy in the upper insert tube.You can't see it; but you can feel it. As mentioned by Gerry's experiences, I fear the pen will fail in general service any average user would put it to. This is too bad because I really like the style and thinking behind this kit. The engineering is a tad lacking. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a near fail-safe fix. Too bad the tranny isn't brass and a schosch longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom