What do you think of this lathe for penturning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Have you considered this one. PM1020G 10x20"Metal Working Lathe with Accessories 1" Bore Free Shipping | eBay
These lathes are excellent, this is the smaller cousin to the pmll27 That Seamus just bought and the pm1236.

Most of the 9 x 20 lathes like their smaller counter parts the 7x are made by only one or two companies. They work well. Jet has one, central machinery also makes one, find the best price if you want to stay with that size.

randyrls

Tony; As mentioned. This is a 9x20 lathe distributed by several companies including Harbor Freight, Jet, Grizzly, Enco, and others. It is a nice lathe, but has a few compromises. The Compound is too flexible, but can be replaced with a different mounting technique. You will quickly grow to hate that nut on the tailstock!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think many people are too hard on the Chinese clone lathes. They really don't deserve the bad reputation. Most lathes, even good old American or British or German ones will need a bit of fettling. Every ( or most ) people with clone lathes will learn to use that lathe by making chuck mounting plates and 4 bolt compound clamps etc etc.
I really think Chinese clones are the best thing since sliced bread.
If I ever need a new ML, it will most definitely be a Chinese clone, even if I win the lottery!! :)

TonyL

Thank you. I am happy with my Jet, and just turn pens. I had never heard of that brand (Bolton) and was curious.

Wildman

Tony what do you want to do with that metal lathe you are asking about?

Since have no idea what other accessories would need had a look at the manual and got to page 11 before thinking this is over my head.
http://www.boltonhardware.com/images/pdf/BT0919B.pdf

After reading all the post in this thread wondered why would not consider Grizzly G4000 over a Bolton lathe looks like the same thing. Grizzly little less money even with shipping.
Grizzly.com

I got little further in this manual before calling it quits.
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g4000_m.pdf

I would look for a lathe where can get spare parts from the vendor, while see that capability at Grizzly did not see that option at Bolton.

TonyL

That is very good advice. Thank you.

I was more curious than anything else...just never heard of the make.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THere are quite a few brands that make that size lathe. Here is another brand
Metal Lathes | Baileigh Industrial
There are a few you may run across that are not in production as far as the brand goes.
I recommended the PM brand because they carry parts and the 3 year warranty. The 7 x16 from micro mark is about the best start up for what we use them for with pens.

ironman123

I don't know anything about the lathes that Bolton sells. I looked at the manual and almost everything is identical to my HF 9 X 20.

I have had mine almost 7 years now and did basic mods in he beginning. It has done all that I needed to build many steam engines, a gas engine (small ones) and many, many tools and accessories.

I replaced both belts and 1 bushing in 7 years. Not bad.

Last edited:

Wildman

Tony I have no idea about metal lathes other than think they are neat. Since there are so many vendors selling the same lathe think finding a vendor with customer service, parts, and other accessories important.

I am on my fourth wood lathe and would never buy another wood lathe from Grizzly. My first wood lathe came from Grizzly and spent a lot of time fixing & ordering parts. No complaints with my Grizzly band saw or customer service or parts. I might buy a metal lathes if someone recommended a particular model.

Sometimes Baileigh's kick up specs and more worthwhile than other competitors. Their model looks like as minor differences, but wish that had a manual at the web site.

I have a lot of respect for the different opinions posted here so will bow out your already in good hands!

KenV

Tony -- If headed into metal -- also look at the 10 by 22 and/or the 10 by 30 lathes (especially variable speed versions)

They get a bit more stability -- but plan to replace the nut on the tailstock along the way.

TonyL

Thank you. Actually, I'm not thinking about a metal lathe; I had just never heard about this make.

Top Bottom