Grinder or sander for sharpening gouges

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I need to get a method for sharpening my lathe tools....

So, what is the best set-up?
(I don't want to have to buy expensive wheels to get a 'clean' surface on tooling) Pretty much want something that is 'plug-it-in-and-go'!

Which would you get?

Scott (polls are fun, but it's too late) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Good belts for the sander would be a constant expense. 1725 rpm grinder with aluminum oxide wheels, wolverine supports, and vari-grind is my choice. One time purchase should last for decades.

Dan Masshardt

What do you use now? I'm happy with the woodcraft slow speed - since replaced by the rikon - along with the wolverine setup including the vari grind attachment for bowl gouges.

The stock white wheels have been fine. I will eventually get a cbn wheel though I think.

SDB777

Mostly hand sharpening, until they get bad, bad...then free hand on the disc sander(doesn't get them perfect that's for sure).

For the carbide, I use a diamond sharpening stone, figure eight motion seems to work.

Thought maybe a stand-alone might be in the budget soon....

Scott (but not a $1000 worth of budget) B

dogcatcher

I free hand on a belt sander, I used that system for years, then came the Wolverine system and the grinder etc.. I used it for awhile, but I never thought it was any better than my freehand on the belt sander so when I got an offer I could live with I sold them. I also have a Work Sharp 2000 that I picked up at a garage sale that I have been working on setting up to use. Going to have to set it on it's side so that I see the sharpening action a little better, but the belt sander will still be my go to rig.

TimS124

Woodcraft has the Rikon grinder on sale this month.... I haven't seen the Wolverine system on sale recently, but it's worth its asking price (well built, easy to install, easy to use, predictable results).

Wildman

Either a belt sander or bench grinder will get your tools sharp. Next all about getting repeatable results every time you sharpen your tools.

I can free hand sharpen some of my tools on belt sander or grinder. I started out using a belt sander to sharpen my tools free hand. Because did not always have the same bevel or bevel with facets got a grinder and Wolverine jig & optional Vari-grind jig. That was over twenty years ago and still happy with my choice.

I know turners that do not vary much sharpening without a jig, but like me wasted a lot of steel learning how.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Top Bottom