What do you think are the most beautiful burls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

A few of my favourites are Honduran Rosewood Burl, Amboyna Burl, Buckeye Burl, Maple Burl, Spalted Mango Burl, Black Ash Burl, Cocobolo Burl, Cherry Burl, Redwood Burl, to name a few.

You can also add Olivewood Burl and Red Mallee Burl to that list

Last edited:

Herb G

Kinda like asking what's your favorite type of car, isn't it? :tongue:

Seriously, I've seen some curly Koa burl that was to die for. (So to speak)
I've seen some spalted fiddleback maple burl that was absolutely gorgeous too. It all depends.

I think Mother Nature makes the most beautiful burl on the planet.
(Not really a pun, but if it fits, wear it.)

SteveG

For all the fine answers here, and I like a lot of them, the OTHER part of the answer is the quality of the burl. For example, some may not even give a second glance to a burl labeled "Maple", since it is not an exotic. Yet I have seen some Maple burls that will knock your socks off (no matter what color those socks are...even yellow :eek:). Also, a spalted burl will often outshine a similar, but unspalted one! So this is my vote for the high quality end of the burl spectrum, IF you can afford them! :)

I will add, that by accepting a grade or two below 'Exhibition', one can buy and use very fine burls in their pen making, still keep the bank account intact, concentrate on their workmanship, and produce exceptional pens.

Top Bottom