What do you ABSOLUTELY have to have?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

I knew it was a trick question. But without the components, you have no pen.:eek:
Without imagination you have no pen.
Without skill you have no pen.
Without the IAP you have no drive.:biggrin:

Submitted from my Samsung phone at 4:30am. Work s#%ks

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty;
I agree with EVERYTHING you said EXCEPT, DOWN HERE... AN is ALWAYS used before any word beginning with a vowel or "H" (an implied vowel). I KNOW THIS IS DIFFERENT "up yonder"...... BUT, it IS Queen's Englsh, and we still observe it, here.

DOWN HERE.... It's ALWAYS AN old.man.. AND AN honorable man.. Anything else WILL get the Hersey beat out of you. notice I left OUT the second h in Hershey.... That was purposefully. DOWN HERE, Hersey was an an honorable Walsh family .... Hershey is synomous with drifter, scalawag, or other reprobate.

We don't care how y'all spell it or say it up there:)
oh then you'd say "an hairy old man"....

micharms

Smitty;
I agree with EVERYTHING you said EXCEPT, DOWN HERE... AN is ALWAYS used before any word beginning with a vowel or "H" (an implied vowel). I KNOW THIS IS DIFFERENT "up yonder"...... BUT, it IS Queen's Englsh, and we still observe it, here.

DOWN HERE.... It's ALWAYS AN old.man.. AND AN honorable man.. Anything else WILL get the Hersey beat out of you. notice I left OUT the second h in Hershey.... That was purposefully. DOWN HERE, Hersey was an an honorable Walsh family .... Hershey is synomous with drifter, scalawag, or other reprobate.

Nope since the 'h' isn't silent in hairy then it is a hairy old man but the 'h' is silent in honourable (since we are talking the Queen's English):biggrin: then it is an honourable man.

Michael

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty;

Nope since the 'h' isn't silent in hairy then it is a hairy old man but the 'h' is silent in honourable (since we are talking the Queen's English):biggrin: then it is an honourable man.

Michael
Depends...I think spoken in England that would be "airy old man"

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty;

Up here Hershey is a candy bar.

Houston is pronounced house-ton - Lewes is pronounced like Louis and Newark is New-ark.

But we don't say "ya'll come back now. Ya' hear" and we don't have grits for breakfast.

It also might be the only place in the country where businesses don't return phone messages and "I'll be there in an hour" means "I might be there sometime today - or maybe next week"

Of course I also remember when Georgia was know as the state where the speed limit was reduced by 20 mph if you had out of state plates on your car. One Governor (the one with the axe handle) had big billboards put up warning people to avoid certain towns when driving through.

Last edited:
Smitty;

Up here Hershey is a candy bar.

Houston is pronounced house-ton - Lewes is pronounced like Louis and Newark is New-ark.

But we don't say "ya'll come back now. Ya' hear" and we don't have grits for breakfast.

It also might be the only place in the country where businesses don't return phone messages and "I'll be there in an hour" means "I might be there sometime today - or maybe next week"

Of course I also remember when Georgia was know as the state where the speed limit was reduced by 20 mph if you had out of state plates on your car. One Governor (the one with the axe handle) had big billboards put up warning people to avoid certain towns when driving through.

I knew their were real good reasons I stayed in the south. LOL
Just a country boy enjoying life!

ianjwebster

"wood rich and cash poor". Never a truer word. After only a few months in this hobby I have more wood blanks than I could turn in a year!!!!!! :cool:

sbwertz

"wood rich and cash poor". Never a truer word. After only a few months in this hobby I have more wood blanks than I could turn in a year!!!!!! :cool:

I've been doing this almost 3 years and if I turned six pens a day for the rest of my life I couldn't use it up. And that doesn't count the backyard full of mulberry crowns.

OKLAHOMAN

Bruce, I'm thinking answerer's like yours,Dean and mine are exactly what Andy is looking for, with time, patience,a small amount of talent and imagination , take any two of these and you can make anything your mind can come up with using whatever you have laying around.

PenMan1

This is one topic where I really miss Butch (LDB2000). Butch used to head up challanges where you could ONLY use one or two tools to complete the challenge. In many of these challanges, you REALLY had to use your imigination to complete a task.

The purpose of this thread is to get people thinking about all the different ways to complete a given task.

traderdon55

Imagination and talent may have been declared the winner but since I don't have a whole lot of either I have to go with my skew and a round to it. My biggest problem is the round to it since there seems to always be something else I need to be doing.

PenMan1

Imagination and talent may have been declared the winner but since I don't have a whole lot of either I have to go with my skew and a round to it. My biggest problem is the round to it since there seems to always be something else I need to be doing.

There are no winners or losers. The purpose is to get us talking about how we approach tasks.

I saw a man make a pen with just a lathe and a Pyramid Point Tool. The blank was attached to a face plate and the point tool was used to drill a hole deep enough to insert a hand made dip nib that was also fashioned with the point tool.. Then the point tool was used to turn the blank down AND part it from the face plate. NOT extremely efficient, but it was the only tool he had.

A "Round toit" button does seem to be needed by most of us:biggrin:

Last edited:

76winger

OK., I made my first pen EVER two days ago for the BASH.
I used a woodchuck unitool and a drill bit. Unfortunately I needed some sandpaper as well. Everything else was on the lathe.

Bob

Sandpaper is as much disrespected as a good bowel movement...until you need it:biggrin:

Just don't use sandpaper after a bowel movement. :eek: Gritty... :mad:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well Andy, the best answer has already been given. Imagination is the key for sure. Talent, or perhaps better, the ability to carry out your imagination, runs a close second.

But for me, the one item I would give my left .... for, would be a clone. :biggrin:

76winger

Smitty;

DOWN HERE.... It's ALWAYS AN old.man.. AND AN honorable man..
Anything else WILL get the Hersey beat out of you. notice I left OUT the second h in Hershey.... That was purposefully. DOWN HERE, Hersey was an an honorable Walsh family .... Hershey is synomous with drifter, scalawag, or other reprobate.

Us Hoosiers were taught that way as well.

Now if I can just figure out why everyone gets "then" and "than" mixed up all the time... :cool:

76winger

Bruce, I'm thinking answerer's like yours,Dean and mine are exactly what Andy is looking for, with time, patience,a small amount of talent and imagination , take any two of these and you can make anything your mind can come up with using whatever you have laying around.

And if you take what's in the cooler you can expand the imagination greatly! :biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty;

DOWN HERE.... It's ALWAYS AN old.man.. AND AN honorable man..
Anything else WILL get the Hersey beat out of you. notice I left OUT the second h in Hershey.... That was purposefully. DOWN HERE, Hersey was an an honorable Walsh family .... Hershey is synomous with drifter, scalawag, or other reprobate.

Us Hoosiers were taught that way as well.

Now if I can just figure out why everyone gets "then" and "than" mixed up all the time... :cool:
If we study more, then we will correctly choose then when appropriate rather than than which would be wrong in that instance. Seriously, I think it is because most people don't understand "then" is a time sequence [I will do A then I'll do B] and "than" is a choice of alternatives [I will do A rather than B].

Last edited:

76winger

Back to being serious:

Since Smitty reminded me of the drilling capability I have with my SS, the two tools I'd absolutely have to have to make a pen would be
1. The skew (the single most versatile tool in my hands)
2. After a half an hour of thinking about it, the next thing would have to be sandpaper because I'm not THAT good with the skew.

Curly

But for me, the one item I would give my left .... for, would be a clone. :biggrin:

I used to wish for the same thing until a guy at work said. "Not me! With my luck the clone would be at home messing with my wife and having all the fun while I worked twice as hard to support them both!:mad:"

Without a creative mind and desire there would be no pens. Okay, :rolleyes: a big brain and opposable thumbs are important too. :tongue:

walshjp17

Moved from the skew to a spindle master (actually several sizes of the SM) so that would have to be item # 1 and #2 would be a sharp set of drill bits.

David M

As for just two things , for me it would be my drill press that is used very often for drilling and pen press. It is alot faster for most drilling.The other would have to be my scroll saw that is used to cut almost everything that I have turned from wood , plastic and some metals. I would not pick just one skew or carbide cutter , use the one for the job that is needed at that time. But with out drill bits the dill press is not very usefull , and with out a skew a blank cant be turned. ( no sandpapper or files ).
David

Randy Simmons

a chisel, definitely. and if you have to limit it to one, use a 5/8 skew. good size for rouging , shaping, and finish cuts. you've got to drill the blank some how. I will assume, however that a drill press is a tool that one already has in their wood shop inventory. a drilling chuck simply makes it easier.

you will need either bushings OR calipers, but you can't have neither. gotta get it straight some how.

a dead center OR a mandrel (mandrel will require bushings)

while finishing isn't necessarily essential to pen making, I would assume he wants more than raw wood. CA glue and MM is another essential.

that's as far as it goes for bare essentials. a single skew, a drilling rig, a way to turn, a way to measure, a way to finish.

That's all we really need. and think of all that crap we have in our shops. HA!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
... (such as a dedicated router station for "rounding over" pen blanks, computers, etc).

How do you round over computers?? :biggrin:

With a computer ROUTER, of course:)

Andy, that deserves a slap around the ears!!! :tongue: if there is anyone near that can do it for me, then I'll be forever in your debt!!!
:wink:

But since you mentioned 'router', my most favourite tool that I couldn't be without, but already have, is my dirt cheap trim router that is used as much to make pens as any of my lathes.
I'm afraid that my second seriously most important 'tool' is very boring but life saving, my rubber floor matting. It's not an essential 'safety item' but certainly makes being in my shop for hours, a lot more comfortable. :wink:

Yeah, yeah.....don't worry, you'll get older one day too!!!:wink:

PenMan1

Skip:
Funny you should mention rubber flooring. When I started making pens on a full time basis, I put down rubber flooring over the entire floor.

10 hour days of standing on concrete will finally take its toll on you, regardless of your age!

As for the head slap, my day wouldn't be complete without at least one.

Top Bottom