What did I do wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wfsteadman

I am not sure what I did wrong here so looking for advice. This is a Faith Hope and Love pen. Before turning, I painted the inside of the blank with white spray paint and painted the outside of the tube with with spray paint. Let them dry overnight. I used Thick CA to put the tubes in the blanks, they went together with no issues. I let that dry for 5 or 6 hours. I turned the pen and notices that there are some flaws that can be seen on most of the pen.

Attached a couple photos to see what I might have done wrong.

Thanks for any advice
Wally

1_pen-issue1.png

1_pen-issue.png

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Nothing wrong there, but perhaps unexpected.

Transparent blank is showing the texture of the drilled hole and probably a reaction between the CA glue and the paint (blistering appearance).

Polishing the inside of the drilled hole will show less drilling marks. Testing paint and CA for reaction, especially if the paint has not completely cured, will give you more predictable outcomes.

corks58

Read the paint cans and see what the recoat time is. Some say anytime and others say within some limits. I know some Krylon won't cure before 48 hrs.

flyitfast

I use acrylic paints from Hobby Lobby and apply with a Q-Tip. I do let them "cure" overnight. Never any problems. I only paint the inside of blanks that could be transparent..
gordon

Last edited:

duncsuss

Transparent blank is showing the texture of the drilled hole

I believe this is the fundamental issue -- it happens (a lot :rolleyes:) when trying to make "demonstratrors" (clear kitless pens).

The best thing I've found to get a perfectly smooth bore is to keep the drill bit cool -- drill slow, spray with coolant (water or machinist's cutting oil or automatic transmission fluid or spray cooking oil -- pretty much anything liquid and cheap is good!), back out often to clear the swarf.

Of course, the drill bit has to be sharp.

Then, after drilling, wet sand and polish the bore.

Top Bottom