Dapper block

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Or Swage block as I think they are called.

OK the few pens I have been working on that had for the lack of a better word watch parts, I made a wood dapper block from hard maple. Yes this is good and works but want to buy a metal one. One that has a few openings.

My question is what is a good one and where did you get it and does it work well?? Would like to bend pieces without getting catches and that is what wood can do.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PSNCO

I was under the impression/opinion that metal blocks should be avoided as they can scratch/marr the watch parts. Can someone with an experience opinion answer that as I was also looking at purchasing a dapping block.

jttheclockman

I was under the impression/opinion that metal blocks should be avoided as they can scratch/marr the watch parts. Can someone with an experience opinion answer that as I was also looking at purchasing a dapping block.

You can always add a small piece of felt or cloth thin plastic sheet, wax paper. Just do not adhere it to the block. But you are bending these pieces such a small fraction that it will not scratch them and if so it will not be noticable.

jttheclockman

I have the 8 piece unit - never used it for watch parts, but have made several domed finials from various metals.
https://www.riogrande.com/search/go?w=dapper+block

Bruce, just saw something interesting on that site you linked to. It is a delrin dapper block. Now that gives me pause for thought:rolleyes: I have slabs of that stuff. I now wonder what adhesive will stick to it to build it up. I wonder if i roughed it up enough and use some T88 epoxy would that stick. That could solve both scratch problem and catch problem. Thanks.

Marnat3

I second the Harbor Freight one. I have it and the machining is pretty good. like you suggested ,insulate the piece and be gentle.

rudya7

For watch parts I drill a hole in a hardwood the size of the pen barrel, cut it in half and use a dowel to form the parts to the block. I cut a slit in the end of the dowel so that I can fit a piece of coarse sandpaper to make sure the curved piece that was bent really fits tight to the barrel. Delrin would probably work really well as you have suggested to replace the hardwood, and instead of the dowel, if you have the HF set of punches, i'm sure you could find the right size to replace the dowel.

arkie

I made mine out of osage orange. Very little wear after several hundred bottle caps and quite a few watch parts. Lignum vitae - real or the Argentine stuff - would be other good choices.

eharri446

Would HDPE work the same as DELRIN? I bought a 12 X 12 X 1.5 inch slab from Grainger for $46 and change. Picked it up the next day. They also have reasonable prices on DELRIN rod from 1/4 up to and past 1 inch.

KenV

Would HDPE work the same as DELRIN? I bought a 12 X 12 X 1.5 inch slab from Grainger for $46 and change. Picked it up the next day. They also have reasonable prices on DELRIN rod from 1/4 up to and past 1 inch.

HDPE should work better. Tough stuff

Top Bottom