Wet sand or dry sand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

wet sand / polish plastics because it keeps the material from overheating and keeps the sanding dust from packing in the abrasive. Micromesh pads have a very short lifespan if used dry. They last a long time for wet sanding.

dry sand wood because there is no reason to wet sand it and I'm never trying to get a mirror like finish on wood from just sanding. Water on wood will cause subsequent finishing challenges as well.

Ed

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Which method do you use and why?

Are you asking about reg sanding of wood or polishing plastic / ca?

They are two different questions IMO.

I occasionally wet sand pens with walnut oil.

I just about always wet sand ca / plastics.

Keeps it cool. And possibly cleaner.

If you are wondering about sanding wood, that's other reasons.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
wet sanding plastics because the dust can bond together under heat and pressure and form particles larger than the grit your sanding with causing more and courser scratches than you started with.
Dry sanding to 400g on wood and then wet sanding with walnut oil with 400g, if Im using an oil finish like the Dr's woodshop finishes or tung oil etc.
Dry sanding all the way if im applying a poly coating or CA finish

bradh

Wet sanding carries away the dust keeping the pads clearer so the pads tend to remove material faster than sanding dry. The wet also has a secondary benefit of keeping the temperature down and avoiding the damage to your Micro Mesh when it gets too hot.
I disagree with the comment that MM has a short lifespan when used dry. I have an 8 year old set of pads that have always been used dry and still work great. The pads need to be cleaned. Wipe them on a denim rag after each use and wash them every 30 pens or so.

Last edited:

TonyL

What do you mean wet? LOL

At this point I only wet sand acrylic banks.

Come on Dan :). Mike came by today and we used the method that I described: 150 or 240 to 600 sp at 500 to 750 rpms and it worked like a charm! I even tested it for you yesterday using forward.

Mike was amazed! Mike tell him how amazed you were LOL.

I am just having fun.

Top Bottom