Well THAT was Stupid!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KDM

Just spent money in a silly fashion. I needed a 20mm twist bit for this little project. Sourced a step drill, not too expensive.

Well, I don't mind telling you that when I got it home, there were rude words. Very rude words. Some of them I didn't even know what they meant. Others I made up on the spot.

The damn shank is 20mm and my tailstock chuck is only 13mm!

A quick bit of reading and I learned that HSS bits are only hardened for part of their length. Usually, the shank isn't very hard at all, so I tooled up with a DCMT indexable insert bit and turned the shank down to 13mm.

Nice!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Great thinking! And besides that you got a brand new language lesson and learned a bunch of new words.:biggrin::):laugh::laugh:
Charles

bitshird

I like the finished perfume atomizer, and besides increasing ones vocabulary is always a good thing, As far as inventing new words, a former President and a former candidate make up words quite frequently. Maybe that's what it takes, seriously I don't know if there is a metric equivalent for Silver & Demming drills, but they have the shanks cut down to 3/8 and 1/2 inch for the larger sizes.

KDM

Oh, ywah. There' s no doubt I could have bought one with a reduced shank. My 22mm fits in a 10mm chuck. The point is I was stupid to not have thought about that.

Top Bottom