Bearing replacment help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rizaydog

I have a grizzly G5979 wood lathe. Well, I did a lot of modifications to it, so it really isn't a grizzly anymore. But the inner workings of the headstock are the same.

I have had this lathe for 8-9 years and plan to replace the spindle, bearings, and pulley. My question is, how to I get the bearings and spindle out of this thing? Is it pressed in?

Also, since I am at it, I want to replace the reeves drive pulley with a fixed, standard pulley. I removed the motor and added a 2 horse 220v and VFD a while back and don't need the reeves for speed control anymore. And it makes a lot of noise. The spindle is a 1x8, but I am concerned that a 1" id pulley might not fit. This lathe has a "1 inch" tool rest post that is actually metric and so a 1" tool rest won't fit in the banjo. Any thoughts on where I might find a 3-4" pulley that might work??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chthulhu

Looking at the diagram in the machine's manual, it looks like the retaining ring for the spindle pulley comes off, then the pulley, a long key, a bearing, and the speed shifter plus its spring. Then the spindle should press out the other side of the headstock, leaving a bearing on either side of the headstock if the righthand one doesn't come out with the spindle.

Wildman

http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/g5979_m.pdf

Looks like you start from the back by removing
#34 back cover
#15 locking ring
#12 spindle pulley set R&L
#10 bearing
17A locking nut
7A bearing
#8 spring

Looks like spindle will come out from front, cannot tell if can gently tap out or need a puller. What has me confused is removing #5 Key & 6A bearing. Would think # 12 spindle pulley sits on #5 key too, and 6A would not from looking drawing.

I would email Grizzly for instructions.

If there is a machinist or electrical store store in your area, should have a pulley catalog if nothing on hand. Would take both spindle & motor with you when shop.

randyrls

The spindle is a 1x8, but I am concerned that a 1" id pulley might not fit. This lathe has a "1 inch" tool rest post that is actually metric and so a 1" tool rest won't fit in the banjo. Any thoughts on where I might find a 3-4" pulley that might work??

Ray; Check out Surplus Center at https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=powerTrans&keyword=PPP1

They are surplus, so don't always have the same items all the time. In particular, verify whether the shaft is imperial or metric and check the key way size.

rizaydog

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll take it apart and double check the measurements before I get too carried away. I will definitely contact grizzly for instructions. Thanks for the surplus center link. I forgot about those guys. I bought some stuff from them for my vacuum chuck a while ago. I'll have to give them a look.

Thanks again

Top Bottom