Website Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KnB Polymers

I've had 2 people thankfully informing me know that our website is down, so I'm just letting you know I'm working on finding out the problem and hopefully will have it going again soon.
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

Your domain expired yesterday. It's registered through eNom or one of their resellers. It's in eNom's hold period right now. They extend the expiration out a year to give you a little extra time. (Edit: this will actually last only a few days before they reverse the date.) Renew it before it goes into redemption period!! Once it does the cost to get it back will jump.

Name Server: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Updated Date: 29-jul-2012
Creation Date: 28-jul-2011
Expiration Date: 28-jul-2013

Last edited:

KnB Polymers

That's crazy... I went and checked and my domain name was paid for and registered for another year and it says it won't expire until 7-7-13. I have all of my sites set up with auto-renew so I won't ever forget to renew it.

LagniappeRob

Sorry cut and pasted the wrong section from enom's whois above:

Name Servers:
dns1.name-services.com
dns2.name-services.com
dns3.name-services.com
dns4.name-services.com
dns5.name-services.com

Creation date: 29 Jul 2011 02:41:00
Expiration date: 29 Jul 2012 01:41:47

LagniappeRob

If it's been paid they should have reversed the nameservers back to those where you host. Do you know them? Did you register yourself (ie. NOT through your host)? If so, go back to where you did it (possibly eNom itself) and change them back to the real nameservers.

KnB Polymers

Yeah, I've been using this company for all of my hosting for years.

Registration Date:07/28/2011 Domain:knbpenblanks.com Payment Method:Credit Card Payment First Payment Amount:$12.95 USD Recurring Amount:$12.95 USD Next Due Date:07/07/2013 Registration Period:1 Year/s Status:Active

KnB Polymers

Wow, Brian's website (southernpendesigns) was paid and renewed earlier this month also ... whois is showing his will expire in a few days and it's with eNom ... WTH!

LagniappeRob

FWIW your site works for me.

AK

It's probably in your DNS server's or local computer's cache (both hold it for a little while... most DNS records are set with a "Time To Live" (aka TTL) to from a few hours to about 1 day). Too short causes excessive lookups, too long and clients don't pick up changes very quickly.

KnB Polymers

I'm so confused ... on "betterwhois" it shows this:

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][Querying whois.verisign-grs.com] [whois.verisign-grs.com]Whois Server Version 2.0Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered with many different competing registrars. Go to InterNIC | The Internet's Network Information Center for detailed information. Domain Name: KNBPENBLANKS.COM Registrar: ENOM, INC. Whois Server: whois.enom.com Referral URL: eNom - domain name, web site hosting, email, registration Name Server: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM Name Server: DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM Name Server: DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM Name Server: DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM Name Server: DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM Status: clientTransferProhibited Updated Date: 29-jul-2012 Creation Date: 28-jul-2011 Expiration Date: 28-jul-2013NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But on "whois" it shows its expired.
I found the phone number for my hosting co and it says it's no longer a valid #, ughhh!
[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE]

LagniappeRob

The registar is eNom. They are holding it at the moment.
Here's the key pieces:

This name has EXPIRED,

Attribrgpstatusattribute:
autoRenewPeriod

Registration-Expiration-Date:
Jul 29, 2013 01:41:47 AM

registrar-lock

Those 3 things tell me: 1) it's expired 2) they're holding it to try to prevent it from going into redemption (this is a good thing for you! Redemption is EXPENSIVE... and if it goes past REDEMPTION there's a 95+% chance that someone else will have a hold on it within seconds and the price will jump again. I'm getting daily offers on a name I let go a month ago on purpose... $1500 to get it back. Uh, if I wanted it I wouldn't have let it go...) 3) you cannot transfer to another registrar.

You may be able to renew through eNom themselves. I'd call them and ask if I can renew directly. Once you do that I'd strongly suggest finding a new host and NEVER EVER register names through the host. Too often hosts put themselves in the billing and or admin sections. They only need to be in the technical contact section. Some unscrupulous will hold domains ransom, etc. Or incompetent ones will let them expire even though you pay to renew...

Disclosure: I am a webhost... been doing it many years. But I'm not trying to turn this into a sales pitch. I don't do individual websites (just wholesale to others and mainly full or virtual servers). I could recommend a couple if you need... but I'd 1st suggest going to webhostingtalk.com and searching for other's experiences there.

LagniappeRob

I know I'm sounding like a broken record... but it's because I've helped a few people through the same exact situation before: Call eNom 1-425-274-4500

Explain to them what's happened, they might help you. Technically, you are their reseller's customer but as the reseller's phone is disconnected they might help.

Here's why it's important to act quickly:
eNom Increases Redemption Fee for Domains to $250 USD | Domain Name News (DNN)

12|03|2009 10:50 pm EDT
eNom Increases Redemption Fee for Domains to $250 USD

So after their "autoRenew" period expires,it will be in redemption. You will have to pay $250 to get your domain back!

Here's the definition of AutoRenewPeriod:
autoRenewPeriod: This status code indicates that a domain has been automatically renewed by the registry upon its expiry date, and that the registry has not yet received payment for the renewal. The registrar will receive a credit note if a domain name on this status code is deleted. The presence of this status code does not prevent any updates to the domain by the registrar.

KnB Polymers

Thank you so much for all of this ... I'm kinda on hold right now ... I've talked to eNom twice and they said they can't do anything because I am technically Access Globe's customer, but if I havent heard from them within 24 hours, to call them back. Access Globe hasn't answered my support tickets. It's crazy, I've been using them for around 10 years without problems.

LagniappeRob

Get it under YOUR control! Your webhost only needs to be the technical contact.
Billing should ALWAYS be your contact.
Administrative should also be yours (some hosts will argue that point) but they don't NEED it... And I always suggest it be yours and secondary by that I mean gmail or other email OUTSIDE of your hosting. Billing and admin being under your control (meaning able to get to one or both in the event of a problem at the host) gives you a lot more power should such an event occurs.

Also make sure you have current valid backups of your site and any databases you use downloaded to your PC.

IPD_Mr

This is a personal preference and I know some do not like them, but for domain registry and SSL, I use GoDaddy. You can't get much cheaper and I am always getting 30% off coupons. I would not use them for hosting unless it is just a blog site or general information. They do not set their servers up for multiple sql connections which is a must when using shopping cart software and you have more than a couple of shoppers at once.

KnB Polymers

I'm in the process of switching everything over (all 3 websites and domains) to GoDaddy as we speak ... it's a learning curve and step by step for me, but I'm getting it done! LOL!

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I believe you will be happy at GoDaddy, at least hope you will.

I have used GoDaddy for domain registry for well over a decade, and have also used them for hosting for about as long. Only problem ever had was everyonce in a while I would find a support person who wasn't all that friendly/helpful...but it has been years since that happened and I would say 99.9% of the time support has been helpful/quick..!

However, decades ago when i first started registering domains, I remember going to eNOM and doing simple 'whois' searches for domain names...when I found a name not registered it would be a day or so before i would go back to register the name...and consistently....consistently...that name would be registered...and to eNOM....

jd99

I use godaddy, for both I have a few virtual servers, and I also have a couple of dedicated servers for my large sites, the reference above about SQL connections isn't exactly true, their virtual servers can support 100 concurrent SQL connections, if you think you are going to have more customers in your cart than that go with a dedicated server.

Been with them for years and no problems. :wink:

Top Bottom