Wayne's Enduro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leather Man

Can anyone tell me where I can find the instructions for Wayne's Enduro finish? I looked in the library and it is not there and a search said the web page could not be found. I know it must be in the old web site. Any help?
Thanks
Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

The key to the finish and even aplication that needs little sanding is the brand of paper towels and the method you use to fold/apply the finish with the towel. When applying, pressure is discouraged. Let the weight of the towel alone level out the finish.

I agree with Mikey that you should use VERY little pressure. When I first tried it, I used the pressure I used way back when to apply perfect pen polish. That did not allow for any build-up of the product.

I also found that after applying the three coats in 1 sitting that apply one coat along the axis of the blanks really helped to smooth things out.

What brand of paper towels do you use Mikey? I haven't tried varying that variable. How do you think it impacts the finish?

Ernie

Mikey

The paper towel makes all the difference in the world. IIRC, the original Wayne method called for Viva! paper towels. before I found the Viva towels I tried Bounty and a few others. They would all leave lines as they weren't quite as thick or soft as the Viva brand. The Viva brand doesn't have "stitching" or embossments and is a very soft and thick towel. I would almost liken it to the blue shop towels on a roll you see at the stores, but even softer and thicker.

When I apply, I put some of the Enduro on the tip of the folded part of the towel. I then lay a bead of finish down the axis of the blank on the lathe and spin the lathe by hand all the while letting the towel "rest" on the blank. The spinning and very light pressure makes the towel act almost as a leveler for the finish instead of an applicator. In fact, I once tried a very thin plastic strip to level the finish, but found the plastic left me more lines. LOL

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you guys for the information. Thank you Lou. That is what I was looking for. What ever happened to Wayne anyway?
Thanks again.
Ben

I had an email message from Wayne a couple of months back. Wayne suffers from a degenerative neuro-muscular disorder and sometimes goes months without being able to turn. He still sneaks a peak at the forum ,but doesn't post at these times.

Top Bottom