Waxing lathe bed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowchaser

Does anyone wax their lathe bed? If so is Johnson's Paste Wax fine? Just don't want mine to rust and I already wax my drill press and other items with Johnson's. If I can wax my lathe bed can I just use DNA to clean it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

I've used apriduct we get here called Mr.Sheen. It's a silicone based product and Some people thinthink its a No NO arond metal but i also use it on saw table and bansaw table. I NEVER use it on bearings.

n7blw

I've been using 'Topcoat' for several years on all my cast iron tool tops. I clean the metal with acetone to get all oil and grease off, then spray two successive coats of Topcoat, buffing with a blue paper towel after each coat. The stuff has no silicone, which raises havoc with some finishes. The shop humidity runs around 75-85%, yet I don't have any rust issues at all in this damp climate. I usually respray the surfaces about once a year.

dbriski

R2 I don't the the Silicone no no is because of the metal. It's usually thought of as a no no on your machines because it could get the silicone into the wood and it could prevent glues/finishes from adhearing properly.

Daniel

I have heard of a lot of issues with waxes etc. for woodworkers that do flat work. Mainly that it can contaminate the wood in one way or anouther. I have not heard any of this from penturners though. Not sure what you should or should not use just pointing out the issue there. I use turtle wax but I don't do custom cabinets or anything either.

At a demonstration, David Ellsworth advised against waxing the lathe bed because this would allow the tail stock to slip.
It made sense to me.

Larry G.
http://webpages.charter.net/lgottlieb2/

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />I have heard of a lot of issues with waxes etc. for woodworkers that do flat work. Mainly that it can contaminate the wood in one way or anouther. I have not heard any of this from penturners though. Not sure what you should or should not use just pointing out the issue there. I use turtle wax but I don't do custom cabinets or anything either.

I have read articles and on wood working forums, a lot of top wood workers use wax on their machined surfaces without problems. I don't believe that is an issue.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Larry Gottlieb
<br />At a demonstration, David Ellsworth advised against waxing the lathe bed because this would allow the tail stock to slip.
It made sense to me.

Larry G.

Does that mean that all the people who wax their lathe beds without problems are wrong? [;)]

DocStram

<br />At a demonstration, David Ellsworth advised against waxing the lathe bed because this would allow the tail stock to slip.
It made sense to me.

Larry G.
That's exactly why I don't wax mine. For what it's worth ... ShopSmith recommends Johnsons. Supposedly, that's why Lowes carries it.

"Does that mean that all the people who wax their lathe beds without problems are wrong?"

I suspect that turning pens doesn't cause slipping, but working with a large log may be another problem.[:)]

Larry

Kalai

I wax a lot of my tools and have done so for well over 28 years, My good friend Dan Deluz (master bowl turner) does the same thing and so do most of the other woodworkers I know, David Ellsworth told me the same thing about the wax and the tail stock sliding off, my powermatic has some tabs that screw on each end to prevent this. I find the benifits of waxing is better than not waxing I even wax my bandsaw blade on my Bandsaw mill while I am not milling, it helps to keep the rust off very well. Aloha.

Chris
Kalai[:)]

DocStram

My tailstock doesn't slide when turning pens. However, sometime back I did wax it ..... and had a few problems with it sliding when I was turning a large bowl. Since then I have avoided waxing it.

Rudy Vey

It made sense to me.

Larry G.
Well, this depends on the lathe. I wax mine regularly with Johnsons wax and my tail stock or the banjo do not move at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom