walked down another slippery slope today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

sold both my Delta jointer and planer and bought old Stanley #5, #7 and #12. For those that don't know, those are handplanes.

I've decided to work towards having my shop be mostly handtools. I'll still have my Lathe, Tablesaw and Bandsaw, but everything else may be turned off.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Hey, you never know guys.

When I was just getting started I was way short on money (like I'm not now [:p] ) And I seriously was considering building my own lathe similar to the old springpoles. I even found a design that incorporated a bicycle chain and sproket that would make the lathe unidirectional as it's supposed to be. Heck the hardest part abouot doing it looked like building the flywheel tokeep the inertia up.

And Badger, you need more pics of this contraption.

Firefyter-emt

Mike, you are going full out galoot, Huh? Be prepared to be sore, but in the long run I hear that it is very rewarding. No more sawdust piles, just big curlies on the floor. :D

Have you type dated the planes yet to see how old they are?

Russianwolf

That's what I'm hoping for. Less noise and less dust, and less weight. I have some rough sawn Elm just waiting for a demo. I may have to get a spare blade for the #5 and put a scrub grind on it to hog off the wood to start with. That will be another one that I get down the road (either a Lee Valley Scrub or another #5 to keep with the modified cutter).

The #5 is either a Type 14 or 15 assuming everything is original. So that puts it in the 1929-1931 range. The #7c (it has the corrugated sole) looks a bit newer, maybe a type 16 so 1932-1941 but can't be newer than '64. I'll know for sure when it arrives.

The #12, who knows. She was made from 1870-1947 without any changes that I've read about. And I just found out that the Lee Valley #112 blades will fit her just fine.

despite my wife's opinions, I'm not going half-assed on this.

Top Bottom