Vise Update, sneak peek!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I didn't mean for my question to hit a nerve. I have an appreciation for quality tools, too. But, I just can't justify spending for what many might consider the top of the line for a specific item. In this case, I can see the advantages of the PHD design and will request to be put on the list.

:wink:

Bill,

You are right to assess your purchases, how much to invest or not invest. There are people who come into pen making and find out that they don't like it or it doesn't like them - wood or finish allergies. No one wants to put lots of money into something only to find out it doesn't work out for them.

Having said that, there is another pit fall for some. If you are a perfectionist or near perfectionist, you will find that $40 - $50 tools won't do what $75 - $80 tools will do. Then you find that you have to spend for the better item to get decent quality and reliability.

Personally, I think a medium quality drill press and a high end clamp (vise) will produce quality holes better than a top notch DP with a cheaper pen vise.

When you get to burls, ebonies, very dense wood (iron/snake wood) or even drilling smaller blanks, the default requirement goes to a quality vise and sharp drill bit.

I have the PSI vise and do not trust it on quality blanks or segmented blanks where alignment is everything. The PSI was fine for a few months until I needed to drill precise holes. I had to tighten the fittings on it often. I looked into a PHD vise but the shipping was going to be almost as much as the - vise two years ago. When I retire . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Bill,
Here is my experience. I have moved through several versions of how to hold a pen blank. First was the alligator jaws wooden pen blank holder, then I bought the PSI self centering vise. The PSI vise had a lot of wobble but on blanks that were solid I made it work. Segmented blanks where drilling dead center is required, it just wouldn't cut it. Also it came apart on me twice. The c ring kept coming off that held the screw rod. I patiently waited for Paul's vise for a year or so and it is everything people have said about it. If you are just starting out, you will need to find something until you can get one from Paul but I think you will find a world of difference when you get a chance to compare. However, you are wise to ask questions, compare, shop on all your wood turning tools. Primarily because if you are new you are going to be buying a bunch of them! $$$$$$$ :biggrin:

Paul in OKC

Thanks again to those waiting, and for the compliments. Hank, the shipping will add about $10 to the price. Most expensive vise I have shipped (includding shipping) was about $95, don't remember where it went. Either to Australia or the UK.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks again to those waiting, and for the compliments. Hank, the shipping will add about $10 to the price. Most expensive vise I have shipped (includding shipping) was about $95, don't remember where it went. Either to Australia or the UK.

Thanks. For some reason, I had it in my mind that was more the last time. However, I am going to add my name to your list about a year before I return home just before retirement - so that I can make it to the top of your food (hardware) chain a few months before returning home. Then I will just have it shipped to my US address. Expect to have my name added about December '09 or Jan '10.

Hank

Top Bottom