Vinyl decal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

Has anyone ever printed a photo or logo on a vinyl sheet with a laser printer then stuck it to a tube and cast it in clear? If so and it worked what should I know to have a chance at success?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

.... can you use vinyl in a laser printer without it melting? Those are hot rollers designed to melt the toner "ink" while it's running ....

I'm sure that if you can get it printed, gluing it down to the tube and securing it for a few days with a bunch of rubber bands would be the first step. Second, adding a thin coating of some compatible resin over top would be good, once the primary adhesive is cured and the rubber bands are removed. Once that first coat is partially cured, trimming the excess off the ends and proceeding with the full depth casting should work fine.

Sabaharr

I already use vinyl self adhesive sheets in my laser printer for another project but was wondering if it could be adapted to this application. I suppose I just need to take the plunge and dive in, see what happens. All I can do is sink in failure or swim to success. If it succeeds I will be opening up a whole new world of pen blank possibilities.

Skie_M

Good luck! Can't wait to see the results! :)

I know that LadyCop uses Avery shipping labels for some of her creations.

Turned Around

I already use vinyl self adhesive sheets in my laser printer for another project but was wondering if it could be adapted to this application. I suppose I just need to take the plunge and dive in, see what happens. All I can do is sink in failure or swim to success. If it succeeds I will be opening up a whole new world of pen blank possibilities.

i don't see why it wouldn't work.

KCW

I have done it unsuccessfully, if that helps. I think if you were able to get the vinyl sealed well enough it might work, but when I did it, the vinyl sort of melted in the PR. I don't know how it would work in a different casting medium.

Sabaharr

As for the seam, well that's what pocket clips are for. Melting in PR is not something I envisioned dealing with. Hmmmm, seal before casting. Could be done. Might have to put this on hold until after the Christmas rush.

chartle

If what ever you have can go through a laser printer it should survive PR. I've never held a PR casting that gets as hot as the inside of a laser printer. The fuser on a laser printer would give you a good burn.

Also the toner is melted plastic so I don't think the PR will dissolve it but you never know.

Last edited:

KCW

I don't think the heat is what melted the vinyl, I think it was a chemical reaction with the PR. Not to say that what you have wouldn't give you a different outcome.

Last edited:

Marko50

I do a lot of decal work, but have never tried it on vinyl or avery labels. I have a simple ink-jet printer and just use water slide decal sheets. Seems to work pretty good for me, so far. I had a few issues in the very beginning, but have seemed to work them out now. I think a lot depends on what you use to cast with too, aka, Poly resin or Alumilite. Both take different techniques to make them work. ...Just my .02¢:wink:

TBCbushings

I tried vinyl and it melted in pr. I used vinyl under Alumilite and worked great. I don't think its the heat but a chemical reaction. I use it instead on paint. I had problems with some paints so I went to vinyl. YMMV.

Top Bottom