variable speed lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hazard

Hi all

I have been contemplating buying a new larger variable speed lathe to replace my grizzly G1495.

My main use of the grizzly lathe was for bowls and this lathe is that is not made for turning larger bowls and it doesn't turn slow enough.

So I have been looking at the Jet Model JWL-1642EVS-2 and Model JWL-1642EVS or Powermatic Model 3520B. Just looking for opinions. I know that there is a $1000 difference between the jet 1.5hp and the powermatic. I guess I could live with the difference in money if I know I will always be happy with the powermatic. Or if the Jet 1.5hp will work for everything I use it for I could live with it then.

I would love to be able to turn 20" bowls but 16" would be fine. I currently do not have 220v where I would put the lathe so i would have to have an electrican put in an outlet for that.

Thanks
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Chris, unless you plan on turning bowls or platters larger than 36" the Jet should work well for you. Yes, you are limited to 16" over the bed, but you can turn a diameter nearly to the floor (in theory) with the Jet, just as with the PM. The PM is probably more capable simple b/c of the HP, but the 220 volt Jet should be close. Not trying to talk you out of the PM. I have one and wouldn't be w/o it.

IPD_Mrs

Ron,
I had been looking at the Laguna as I like their quality, but I have yet to find what the thread size is on it. Is is 1" x 8 or 1-1/4" I have no idea.

Mike

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

Ron,
I had been looking at the Laguna as I like their quality, but I have yet to find what the thread size is on it. Is is 1" x 8 or 1-1/4" I have no idea.

Mike

Here are some specs
220 volt single phase.
500 lb
1 1/4 x 8 TPI
2.5" on the tailstock travel
2 HP DC variable speed with 2 step polygroove belt
18" max diameter
47" between centers
Sliding headstock
#2 MT
Indexing on the headstock - spindle is drilled at 12 locations and the headstock casting at 3 locations
Headstock lock near the spindle threads
$1695

I heard that Jet has raised the price on the 1642, you'll need to check on that

If you are just comparing the 2 Jets, the 1.5hp would be fine. If you add the Laguna to the mix, the Laguna would be the best pick. Now throw in the 3520 and it will outshine them all... for $1000 more.

hazard

This is the kind of info I am looking for. Good stuff. I know all are capable of what I want. I just don't want to wish for more anytime soon.

I like this quote of rherrell's

"The pain of using a cheap tool lingers long after the joy of saving money has passed"

Ron,

My name is Paul and I am on penturners.org representing Laguna Tools. I am here to answer any questions you may have about Laguna products. I saw your question about the thread diameter of our lathes. For our 14, 16, and 18 models the thread size is 1 1/4" x 8 TPI. If you have any further questions in regards to our products or myself feel free to ask. I am also an avid pen turner and love to discuss this with anyone with the same interests.

Thanks,

Paul

Gary Max

Buy Mustard and never look back.
Plus you will get great service if you ever need it.

Read Marc's post twice then go look at the feedback Laguna gets.

I can't say enough about my Powermatic. After a lot of research I took the plunge and couldn't be happier. I've turned on many lathes over the years and nothing stands up to the Yellow Beast anywhere near the price range.

Just my humble opinion.

Skip_Evans

I also have the 3520 and never regretted spending the extra cash. Why spend 2grand now and be unhappy six months from now when you can spend 3grand and be happy many many years.

Dario

This is great! An interesting thread and Ron and Billy are posting again!!!!

Missed you guys.

Cav,

Check their post date. :eek:

I too am glad to see their posts only to learn that someone dredged this post which is more than a year old.

Last edited:
Top Bottom