Vacuum Chamber Fittings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am going to make a pickle jar stabilizing vacuum chamber. I can figure everything out except for how to attach everything to the lid. I guess a bushing and nut would be the best choice, but can somebody tell me exactly what I should use. I would like it to end up with a 1/4" NPT female to attach a tee. I will put a gauge, ball valve and barbed fitting on that tee.

Would this be the best part to go through the lid?

1/4 in. Male x 1/4 in. Female Brass Pipe Coupling

Then just a brass nut and maybe some epoxy in between? HF doesn't have the nut. Any suggestions where to get that? Or a better solution?

Don't worry, I will be careful with the glass under vacuum. I plan to put the whole setup in a bucket to contain the implosion if it happens. I have read every stinking post on vacuum chambers on this site and couldn't find this detail. Maybe because it's something simple.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Or you can improvise a bulkhead fitting by using another fitting that threads on and cutting the threaded part off... Then you put your sealing material on top the lid and under the lid, with the fitting going through from the top and the cut-off thread coming up from below to compress it all for your vacumn seal.

Keeping the jar sealed up inside a 5-gallon plastic bucket while it's running is a good idea .... so is keeping spare pickle jars. Hope you like pickles! :)

Make sure you maintain that rubberized seal inside the top of that pickle jar lid... and put a good coat of rubberized paint on the inside of the lid as well as outside to prevent it from rusting out on you. (specifically the part where you cut through the lid to put your fitting)

I've been thinking of ways to build a small vacumn chamber for stabilization of my deer antler blanks (with superglue). My issues are kinda different though ... I need a superglue with a long enough set time that I can paint up the blank, seal the container, pull a vacumn, and release it to get the superglue deep into the structure of the bone to totally seal it. The idea is to make sure that it won't absorb liquids and stains from sweat, everyday spills like coffee or soda, or simple handling over time...

I don't think the pickle jar style is gonna help me much... just not enough time to seal it up.

chartle

I've been thinking of ways to build a small vacumn chamber for stabilization of my deer antler blanks (with superglue). My issues are kinda different though ... I need a superglue with a long enough set time that I can paint up the blank, seal the container, pull a vacumn, and release it to get the superglue deep into the structure of the bone to totally seal it. The idea is to make sure that it won't absorb liquids and stains from sweat, everyday spills like coffee or soda, or simple handling over time...

Why not just use same stabilizing solution everyone else does?

Top Bottom