Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
My shop might be 80 .. or it might be 40. I can cast in either one, but
warmer is better.
I also warm the molds and the resin. Put the resin in a jar and let that sit
in a hot bath. It will get watery as it warms. I pop the molds in the toaster
oven for about 15 minutes. If they're both warm, it won't matter much
what temp the shop is .. that resin will set pretty fast.

I also have a radiator in the back corner of the shop. I have a sheet of
Corian on top of it and I'll put the filled molds there. (make sure you level!)
and turn a box upside down over the mold. That holds in heat AND fumes.

kevrob

Well, I am newbie to working with PR, but I have worked with it all winter long so far even thought it has been under 20 degrees F on some days in the garage/shop. I will pour it, tint it, then place in hot water (from the tap) for a bit to thin. Then, once I am ready, I will add the MEKP, pour it into molds and place it in the toaster over (set to around 140 degrees). Haven't had any issues so far and have had no problems turning.

DurocShark

Well, I am newbie to working with PR, but I have worked with it all winter long so far even thought it has been under 20 degrees F on some days in the garage/shop. I will pour it, tint it, then place in hot water (from the tap) for a bit to thin. Then, once I am ready, I will add the MEKP, pour it into molds and place it in the toaster over (set to around 140 degrees). Haven't had any issues so far and have had no problems turning.

That's definitely a workaround. I do most of my casting in pipe molds, so the toaster oven is out until the resin kicks. Below 20 I can't get it to kick at all, it just gets gummy.

kevrob

Ya, I used to use pipe molds and would have never even tried it with those at low temps. Now that I have one of PTownSubbie Silicone Molds, i have no problems with them in the oven and can cast all winter long for the cost of my $20 walmart toaster oven!

That's definitely a workaround. I do most of my casting in pipe molds, so the toaster oven is out until the resin kicks. Below 20 I can't get it to kick at all, it just gets gummy.

Top Bottom