Urushi Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chriselle

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That finish is phenomenal. :eek: I don't think I'd ever have the patience to even attempt it. I'd probably spill the bottle all over the place too:rolleyes:

How durable is it? Could you use the cheaper stuff for the first coats and use the expensive one for the final coat?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chriselle

That finish is phenomenal. :eek: I don't think I'd ever have the patience to even attempt it. I'd probably spill the bottle all over the place too:rolleyes:

How durable is it? Could you use the cheaper stuff for the first coats and use the expensive one for the final coat?

Thanks for the compliment Steven. Well, if you only do one pen at a time your patience can wear a bit thin. I'm working my way up to doing a bunch of blanks at the same time which makes the whole process a bit less painful.

Urushi's durability is legendary. It cures extremely HARD. And in fact, the older it gets the better it looks. Urushi is considered artwork now but originally it was intended as a finish on daily use utensils. Most of those items lasted several generations or more.
If you are using coloured lacquer the cheaper stuff is fine but for clear the Chinese stuff is a little too dark.

Last edited:
Top Bottom