Ugly Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davidrei

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrei

A friend asked me to make a couple of snake skin pens for gifts (Sedona, diamondback rattler from BB) which cam out nicely. But being a unique individual, she also asked me to make an "ugly" pen for her personal use. Well, this was not quite enough for me to run with, so I asked her what kind of ugly she wanted:

Gaudy Ugly â€" e.g., a pen with multiple painted colors (under a nice finish) e.g., bright yellow, red, green

Ambiguously Ugly â€" A pen that when you look at it, you say, “well, maybe someone somewhere might like it†and you’re afraid to flat out call it ugly for fear of offending, even though it is clearly ugly.

Purposefully Ugly â€" e.g., I once made a pen with moss encased in clear plastic, ended up looking like a pen made from swamp water.

Poorly Made Ugly â€" One of questionable design quality with ridges & misaligned glue joints (e.g., a pen made by a 5 year old)

She decided on either purposefully ugly or ambiguously ugly. To that end, I made a "Frankenpen" out of multiple scraps lying around the garage. On the lower barrel, it has 7 type of wood: cocobolo, black palm, Honduran rosewood, dyed boxelder burl, amboyna burl, maple, birch (I think) and bocote. The upper barrel has the maple, birch, bocote and rosewood ends, but is mostly deer antler, with turquoise and iron pyrite inlays.

My question to the group: is this ugly enough? I think it's about half way between ambiguously and purposefully ugly, but I can't really tell.

200762564254_Pams%20Pens2.jpg

200762564442_Ugly4.jpg

200762564521_Ugly3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Check out the pictures of the pens submitted for the ugly pen contest. Yours is hardly a good looking pen; but it would "NOT" come close to qualifying for the contest.

Personal taste being what it is, I can state with almost absolute certanty that someone will come along who likes this pen a lot and thinks it is not at all close to being ugly!!!

davidrei

I agree, this is not worthy of the ugly pen contest, however the ugly pen contest didn't have an 'ambiguously ugly' category, which is kinda what I was going for[:D]

redfishsc

You missed a golden opportunity. If you were to mix some pearlescent pigments in the CA finish (the same pigments used in PR resin pens will do great), and given the pen an overall pearly-look (especially over what looks like antler) you would have really made a nauseating pen.

davidrei

Wow, that's a pretty cool idea. I've put regular pigment in CA to accent glue lines, but never thought of pearlescent in the CA for the finish. I can imagine situations where that might actually look good (but then my imagination frequently goes off on tangents). Thanks!

Pammycakes

[:X][:D]The Frankenpen was awesome!!! Your best work yet. I showed the pictures to people at work and watch out for orders... The intricate detail was phenomenal. Thank you. I will keep it under lock and key so it doesn't walk off. My friend, Michele, will be the recepient of one of the snake pens for graduation in the Master's program. Okay, I know you have heard it before (not from me), but your check is in the mail. Thanks again.

davidrei

Thanks Pam, I hope it helps you leave an ambiguously puzzled look on everyone else's face. I must say though, I doubt you'll be surprising anyone though. Your reputation is too well know, especially after the gift of underwear that you gave me.

2007628183212_Dave%20With%20Pams%20Underwear%201.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom