Ugly knot on a log...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

This burl was extremely hard...dulled 2 carbide bits trying to hollow the thing out..finally just gave up & quit..I put 6 coats of Min Wax Wipe On Poly on it...maybe someone will think it is art or something...:biggrin: It is 3" x 8" & may be ironwood or as hard as it was, cast iron or cast steel..

Attachments

• BOWL1.jpg
    BOWL1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 234
  • BOWL2.jpg
    BOWL2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 213
  • BOWL3.jpg
    BOWL3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 215
  • BOWL4.jpg
    BOWL4.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Phillip, it is art and nicely done. Try it as your change holder. Don't think a dime will fall through. A conversation piece.

nativewooder

HSS bowl gouge will always work better for bowls. I quit using carbide for anything but plastic. And then I quit using plastic! Bowl gouges can be sharpened, it's just a matter of learning. Never quit learning!:biggrin:

It has definitely been an enjoyable learning experience!:cool: The more I turn, the more I read, the more I watch, the more I realize I don't know much about turnin'! lol

That's the fun part of turning, learning and figuring out all the ways to get things done... I've been turning about 15 years +/- and figure by now I've made a slight mark, just a scratch on the surface... have fun and keep up the good work.

Top Bottom