Two small bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from esears

esears

Here are two quick bowls I did up. I'm still learning and pretty much teaching myself. The first one is a piece of Flat Pear from Zambezi Exotics.

P1070234.JPG

This second one is a bowl designed off a mushroom (obviously =) ) and was turned from a piece of fresh cut cherry cut on the end grain (I believe this is the correct terminology).

mushroomcherry.JPG

Both bowls are sanded down to 800 and finished with a combination of BLO and a tung oil.

The second bowl still needs some touching up to get rid of the two indent where my son dropped this one too. You'd think I'd learn not give things to a 1 year old, but he enjoys them so much.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

turning end grain means you are cutting into the "straw ends" of the wood grain...from the "top down" not sideways

markgum

great job. Your off to a great start.
Heck give your son some sand paper and let him go to work. no wait.. if he is like my kids were he would eat the sand paper.. :biggrin:

VisExp

Nice work Eric. I believe the first bowl is not flat pear, it is hard pear. I really like the shape and embellishments you have done on it, and the finish compliments those nicely. It reminds me of an African calabash.

Nicely done for being on your own. I like the shapes and the mushroom design.
I suggest you join a local woodturning group and hook up with a experienced turner that wants to teach. I did so and learned more in two hours than I would in a year on my own. I've done so on several occasions. Not a pro yet but certainly much better.

Top Bottom