Two hybrid boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Wonderful turning George! Although not a big fan of 'hybrid' turnings, your's have convinced me that they are truly beautiful! Do you cast your own or do you purchase them elsewhere? If so, can you recommend a source? Are there 'special' considerations that we need to take in to account when turning them or are they very similar to wood turnings? Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you!

Thank you for your comments

Old Codger: I cast my own blanks
They turn similar to how a dense hardwood (cocobolo, african blackwood, lignum vitae etc) turns.
You can use normal tools etc but I've found negative rake scrapers are the easiest to use and give the best surface finish.
The finishing of the blanks is where the biggest difference is- I've heard all sorts of methods from sanding sealer and friction polish to CA but i have found the easiest and best way to get a flawless finish is to dry sand to 600 or 800 then use buffing wheels and compounds. Obviously you can't buff the inside so I use abranet to 1000 grit then use U beauts EEE.

PenPal

George,

Picasso eat your heart out move over the real stuff is your work I did see a whole gammut of figures in the first three and you have been a pathfinder and trendsetter with your most beautiful boxes the like of which I have never seen before in so many beautiful colours and random patterns.

Thanks for making my day.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom