turning Dino Bone Trustone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EuroChris

I'm helping my youngest son turn a Dino Bone Trustone blank. We had done a Leopardskin blank awhile back and that turned without any great difficulty. But this Dino Bone is something else entirely. I've scanned around the forum for tips and advice on turning Trustone and have found out that the blanks range in hardness. Another point I've read a few times is to make a few cuts and sharpen the tool, that made a very small difference. I've tried playing with the speed of the lathe and anything slower than full speed causes the tool to chatter. We are more comfortable with a roughing gouge, I have been working to get better with a skew but neither seems to make a better dent in the blank then the other. We've got about close to 2 hours on this blank and it's not even rounded yet. All that being said any tips or advice anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you've worked with the Dino Bone blank. We're getting very discouraged and I'd hate to have this ruin turning future trustones.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The few trustone I have turned I used a carbide tool (round insert) because I was haveing to sharpen the HSS ones every few minutes and I turned at 1500-1600 rpm and took very small amounts off at a time.

get some carbide tools. I did a Dino and it was a hard one but it did not take a whole lot more time then normal. If you have been at it for 2 hrs and it is not round, its time for new tools or read on proper sharpening. I would just put the blank aside and get yourself an early birthday present of some new carbide tool/tools. Then get ready to :bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies047:
:bananen_smilies046:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Chris....

Moved your thread outside WI so that it would get some more answers.

Here is my thoughts:
- A roughing gouge should work, but it MUST be sharp. (IE shave the hair off your arms sharp is best).
- If you have a bandsaw or a sander, you can take the "corners" off before putting on the lathe and that can help some..

WARNING... if your tools aren't sharp the Trustones will tend to heat up instead of cutting.
you will see the blank turn a bit white if your doing that.

So .... Long story short - the sharper the tools the better!!!

GoatRider

+1 for carbide bits. I've done it with a skew, but my carbide bit Easy Wood Tools rougher works sooo much better. I do most of it with a square bit, and do the finishing touches with an R2.

Ditto on the carbide. Dino is tough like Lapis, I used a Rondo make by Wood One of a Kind, I too to to near finished diamter, turning it at full speed, light controlled cuts... finish with an EWT round cutter, really light passes, works like a charm. Keep the tool rest up close and under the cutter as close as possible.

packerb

Dino bone turning.

My grandson and I started a dino bone pen for his birthday. Well I know exactly what your going through. I finally had to turn it on my metal lath.

gbpens

Years ago,when RT Research came out with the product some people call Tru-stone, they offered pens they had made in their material. They used a marrow belt sander setup they could press against the material as it turned. This got them to a round blank and they finished it off with normal cutting tools. They soon dropped this item. I have found that sanding the corners down or a disc sander saves time and sharpening. Keep in mind there are several densities that this material comes and dino bone is one of the harder ones. This material was originally intended for lamp bases and table tops. Later, the density was lowered to accomdate turning.

BSea

I hear you on the dino bone. I did a red one, and it took forever. I really like it though. I have some more, but I keep finding excuses to turn something else.

EuroChris

Thanks a ton, everyone, for the input. Looks like carbide is the winning option. So we'll put this kit on the backburner for a little while. I skimmed around at the price of carbide tools and we're gonna have to wait a little. But it's all good, my boy has got a new laser cut kit to work on to take his mind off it.

plantman

I have turned all the true stones at one time or another, and the Dino Bone is the toughest I have incountered. I use my Mini Micro Metal lathe to turn all my pens even though I have several wood lathes. (comes with being a tool colector). Even this blank made me take out my tool cutter and resharpen it several times. Carbide is the only answer!! The pen turned out excellent, with time well spent. Good luck!!

Top Bottom