Turning cancun blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BrentK

I bought a few cancun blanks from Eugene I was wondering are they harder to turn than just wood. I have the perfect kit for one of these blanks and would really like to turn one.
Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

He does a superb job of casting, so you shouldn't have any blow outs unless you are very aggressive with dull tools. Just take your time. Be more careful with your sanding, the wood will sand faster than the acrylic. I find it best to use a sanding block and not push hard, just let the paper do the work. Personally, I wet sand and then let the blank sit for a few days before finishing it, so it can dry out.

barrels

I finished a Cancun blank recently and I turn with a sharp spindle gouge. I sanded starting at 320 and went down to 600. Sanding length wise after sanding with the lathe running. After 600 I Wiped througholy with Denatured. Then use three coats of Thin CA ....MM down to 12000

Then Smile..I must thank Eugene GREAT STUFF

Image020%203.jpg

ElMostro

All,
The Cancun blanks turn just like regular acrylics and hardwood blanks. BUT using sharp tools and taking light cuts gives you a better "experience". The one thing you want to avoid is a catch, so go light on your cuts and if you are just learning to use a skew this is not a good blank to practise on. Beleive it or not I use a VERY SHARP 3/4" roughing gauge from start to finish (come to think of it I turn all my pens with the same tool). I have turned about 25 Cancun blanks and so far no problems but I do take my time drilling, turning sanding and finishing.

Also when drilling, make sure you clear the bit to minimize heat build up. Once you are done turning and before you start sanding, apply some thin CA to seal any open pores on the wood and then proceed to sand and finish as you normally do.

If you do have any questions on turning these just send me a note I I am happy to assist.

Eugene

Top Bottom