Tumbler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

My brother in law gave this tumbler to me, loaded with shells.

What do you know about these machines? What do you use as material to polish the shells. Looks like crushed walnut.

Tumbler 1.jpg

Tumbler 2.jpg

Tumbler 3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
There are several media's that you can use.
Google is your friend. It will depend on what you plan to put in as to which media will give the best results.:wink:

Jgrden

I will be using it to polish .30-06 shells. I am thankful, frank-full and proud to have this machine. What a nice gift.

ohiococonut

Actually that's not a tumbler, it's a vibratory case cleaner. The tumbler uses a small barrel and actually tumbles the cases.

Most people use crushed walnut or corn cob. Most of the media designed for use with this cleaner already come pre-treated with some type of cleaning/polishing agent. Some people also use pet bedding from wally world which is also crushed corn cob and add a little liquid car polish. If I'm cleaning dirty cases I'll use walnut and for just polishing I use corn cob.

Jgrden

Actually that's not a tumbler, it's a vibratory case cleaner. The tumbler uses a small barrel and actually tumbles the cases.

Most people use crushed walnut or corn cob. Most of the media designed for use with this cleaner already come pre-treated with some type of cleaning/polishing agent. Some people also use pet bedding from wally world which is also crushed corn cob and add a little liquid car polish. If I'm cleaning dirty cases I'll use walnut and for just polishing I use corn cob.
Pet bedding. Interesting. Thank you.

ohiococonut

John, some of the polishing media is expensive. Stay away from Lymans crushed walnut with the red rouge. It leaves red powder residue everywhere!

I'm currently using the pet bedding, which is much cheaper, and adding liquid car polish. One bag of pet bedding will last you a long time. Add a couple of teaspoons of car polish and let it run for about 15min before adding the brass, that should prevent it from clumping up. If the brass isn't too grungy it should only need to be "tumbled" for a couple of hours.

I should point out that the pet bedding I'm referring to is crushed or ground up corn cob. Not the cedar shavings

Last edited:

Jgrden

John, some of the polishing media is expensive. Stay away from Lymans crushed walnut with the red rouge. It leaves red powder residue everywhere!

I'm currently using the pet bedding, which is much cheaper, and adding liquid car polish. One bag of pet bedding will last you a long time. Add a couple of teaspoons of car polish and let it run for about 15min before adding the brass, that should prevent it from clumping up. If the brass isn't too grungy it should only need to be "tumbled" for a couple of hours.

I should point out that the pet bedding I'm referring to is crushed or ground up corn cob. Not the cedar shavings
Wonderful. I am heading to Wal Mart tomorrow. Corn Cob.

ohiococonut

I had to laugh when I added the last line about the type of pet bedding.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine decided he wanted to start reloading. He asked about polishing media and I suggested pet bedding since it was much cheaper. I must not have been specific because a couple of days later he called and cussed me out because his brass wasn't getting any cleaner and he was having a hard time getting it out of the cases. Huh :confused:
After more questions and answers I found out he used the cedar shaving for hampsters :eek::rolleyes: I still kid him about it occasionally :biggrin:

If you don't want to have to dig the brass out with your hands pick up a cheap plastic slotted spoon too. It works wonders for sifting out small batches of brass. You can scoop out the brass while the case cleaner is running.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

As already mentioned, there are two basic polishing media, corncob and walnut shells. Their real purpose is to carry the polishing compound. You'll need to buy either impregnated media (which is expensive and the rouge is messy), or add it yourself.

Walnut shell media is sharper than corncob and will clean faster. Corncob is smoother and will yield a higher shine. Neither will polish as high as buffing or hand polishing.

Again, as already stated, you can buy crushed corncob or walnut shell packaged as birdcage bedding at a pet supply store much cheaper than media labeled for brass polishing. Both work, but they are not exactly the same. The pet bedding is more finely ground and can get stuck in the flash hole.

Personally, I buy crushed walnut shell at PetSmart and add ammonia-free brass polish that I buy from MidwayUSA (www.midwayusa.com). Initially, you'll have to add several tablespoons worth of polish and let the tumbler run to distribute it (wait until the clumps disappear) before adding the shellcases. The media can be reused until it becomes too dirty. Just add one tablespoon of polish each time.

I hope that helps,
Eric

parawood

Used to use crushed corn cob and Brasso in a commercial reloading company I worked for back in the '70's. Worked well.

Karl

Fred

Having early on in my lifetime reloaded several thousand rounds of rifle and pistol ammunition I can warn you of a bit of danger involved ... never had this to happen to me, but I have seen the result of such an accident on the range.

Beware of the flash hole getting clogged. Tumble the brass clean and polish before you deprime. The flash hole can still often get clogged with smaller pieces of medium, but this type of clog will get caught at the depriming stage. This will most likely bend the depriming pin and let you know of the clog. (Here you can begin cussing as you tediously replace the pin.)

A clogged flash hole can ruin your day as the primer will not function properly. It also may not even allow a primer to be properly seated. IF you don't catch this error and try to chamber a round you can get premature detonation as the bolt may crush the primer. :eek:

Can you think, "small grenade!" It is messy, painful, blinding, and can be deadly to you and anyone nearby. Picture exist of of this man I saw years back after this happened with a .308 reload, but I doubt that anyone needs to see them.

I would place my reloaded rounds in my boxes with the primer end up. A simple swipe of the finger across the end will alert you of a mis-seated primer. The bad round can be removed and disposed of properly. A gallon can with oil was what I used, drop and soak for weeks, and thus keep anyone from finding them and trying to use them.

I always used the crushed walnut shell and had many less problems all the way through the reloading process. The corn cob was always way to much trouble for me and did not last as long as the walnut shell. BTW, don't polish your brass with the same medium you use to clean the brass. Clean with no wax or polish, then use a different batch of medium to polish.

I charged my medium by using a hard bar of carnubea wax. Just add the hard bar of wax, tumble/vibrate for an hour or so, and off you go. No clumping problems at all. Experience will show you just how long to 'charge' the medium.

This does not transfer anything inside the cartridge which can ruin your day if the powder gets even a bit oily ... as can happen with other types of 'polish'. (Old primers are quite often made inert by pouring them into a container of oil for a short soaking.) Partially burned powder causes a round to enter and not exit the barrel, and blocked barrels are extremely dangerous if a second round is fired. (Pipe bomb comes to mind.)

The spoon is a good idea for small amounts of brass, but I used a larger metal colander (ask the wife if this is not known to you and don't use her's) into which I carefully poured the entire batch and slowly stirred with my hand while using a plastic tub to catch the cleaning/polishing media. At the time I was reloading several hundred rounds in a reloading session of either rifle/pistol brass, or both, so something with a bit of size was necessary for me.

Never ever consider tumbling any loaded ammunition ... especially rifle rounds. Bullets can be just as effective as is the firing pin if given enough space to fall and hit that primer in another round.

If you are ever bored, and for a bit of fun, sit around outside with your .357 loaded with just a primed cartridge and 'blast' mosquitoes as they buzz around you. They do not stand a chance! This is also a way to get rid of 'old' primers. Just don't shoot the dog or any one that is curious as to what the heck it is that you are doing!

Above all else, be careful, have fun, and always 'keep your powder keg high and dry.' We like to see (read) you here at the IAP. :biggrin:

Jgrden

For clarity and to help the fellow members here are you planning on reloading or just cleaning brass for pens?
To help fellow members, I am cleaning brass for pens.

Thank you for asking and helping to clarify a confusing issue.:wink:

Top Bottom