Bobostro61

Walnut on a chrome stopper

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 316
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Bob...Super nice stopper!!! Great finish and nice wire burnt detail lines!!! Will make a wonderful stopper to show off your nice bottle of wine or olive oil... Give us a few details on how you made your 'wire burner' so we tooo may profit from your handiwork!!! Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you!

alphageek

Former Moderator
Want my 2 cents? I have gotten great "wire burn " effects without wire at all.. I have used maple veneers to create great burn marks. Push the edge against the part turning and it works great and is handy.

I should video the effect some day.

Joe S.

Want my 2 cents? I have gotten great "wire burn " effects without wire at all.. I have used maple veneers to create great burn marks. Push the edge against the part turning and it works great and is handy.

I should video the effect some day.
I've seen a guy do somthing similar with purpleheart. It stained the wood purple!

alphageek

Former Moderator
That looks good. I haven't tried veneer. I have some piano wire with scraps of blanks on each end. Kinda like what was used on Luca Brasi in the Godfather.

EXACTLY... Wire + spinning lathe is a bit over my comfort zone for the most part. I'm sure its perfectly safe, but I just know what I'm comfortable with and what I'm not...

Which is why I worked out the veneer thing.

LeeR

That looks good. I haven't tried veneer. I have some piano wire with scraps of blanks on each end. Kinda like what was used on Luca Brasi in the Godfather.

That reminds me ... I need to make sure the tape is still holding the revolver securely behind my shop toilet ...

Old Codger

I've used formica samples from one of the BBS and my own copper wired burning tools, but never quite satisfied with them...Haven't tried 'piano or guitar wire' but not sure I want to go the expense of using those unless someone has a better and less expensive idea... Also, I ALWAYS use two handles on either end of my copper wire as I'm terrified of loose, hand held wire becoming tangled and cutting off a finger or two when turning.... Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!!! Safety FIRST!!! Safe turning to you all!

mchech

I have another hobby, making fishing lures for family and friends. Making spinners for everything from trout to musky requires using stainless steel solid single strand wire from 0.016" - 0.035" for spinner shafts. I just cut about 10" of wire and thread it through the center of a couple of 3" pieces of heavy dowel rod and burn any size I want. I have yet to have a wire break but just in case I try to keep my space of wire short so as not to break and wrap around my neck.

Bob Wemm

I use plain ole copper wire, it gets hot very quickly and doesn't take long to do the job. Better still it was free.
I have a handle on one end and secure the other end to my tool rest.
BUT, I like the idea of a sharpened hard wood piece, I think that could be better controlled.
PS. I love the stopper.

Bob.

Top Bottom