Trouble with decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hal9000

I am having lots of trouble with inkjet waterslide decals not sticking properly. They seem ok just after they are applied, but as they dry, they seem to lift off slightly so that there are lots of silvery spots under them. After trying various things, the only way I can get a reasonable result is to apply a coat of diluted nail polish, wait until it is touch dry, wet the barrel with Micro Set and then apply the decal. There is no room for error as the decal "grabs" and cannot be moved. I am putting the decals on acrylic barrels that have been polished to a good finish and everything is spotlessly clean.

I have read every article I can find on decals and watched every YouTube video.

What is really getting to me is that nobody else seems to have this problem - surely I can't be the only one!:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

are you clear coating the decals before you slide them off? I spray 2 coats of Clear Krylon and let them cure between coats and have not experienced what you are saying? This is a University of Pepperdine decal on the lower blank in the school colors I was recently commissioned to do two such pens. Simply turn a bit under size, apply the decal and build it back up w/CA to the proper fit! Hope this helps, be well.....Jan

Attachments

• DSC_0098 (1).jpg
    DSC_0098 (1).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 238

Hal9000

Hi Jan

Yes I do coat the decals with an acrylic spray. It is one that is used as a top coat on car bodywork, bought from a well known motor accessory supplier in the UK. It is almost as if the glue is being left behind on the backing paper when the decal is slid off. I only soak the decal for about 5 sec to avoid washing the glue away.

Harry

Stephen

I have been doing clear laser water slide decals from Papilio with very good results.
I turn the wood/acrylic blanks a tad under size to the kit components
I apply one coat of thin CA as a base coat.
The decals are given two coats of Krylon Preserve It and allowed to cure overnight.
Place the decals in warm water for 30 seconds or until they curl up. It is now ready to slide off and apply to the barrel after wetting the barrel slightly and position it where I want it to be. Gently squeeze out all bubbles from the center to the edges with a damp paper towel ensuring the decal does not move. Finally mop excess water and allow it to dry over night.
For the finish I apply one thin coat of C A gently and allow to to cure without an accelerator, followed by another thin coat. From here on normal medium CA to build up over the pen components dimensions and finish with micro mesh and one step polish.
This works for me. Hope this helps you. Good luck

Marko50

Hi Harry,

It sounds like you're doing everything right, just maybe a few tweeks might help...

Try this;

1. Apply your decal to the tube without the Micro-Set. Make sure to only let your decal soak in the water for just enough time to barely loosen it up. Dab the edges of the decal with a paper towel to soak up excess water.

2. Lay down your decal straight from the backing paper, i.e., don't take the decal completely off the backing and then lay it on the tube. Position the decal where you want it.

3. Use a small sponge stick to soak up anymore excess water and to also squeeze out any air bubbles behind the decal. Let it completely dry.

4. Now apply the Micro-Set to the decal, taking care not to push too hard with your brush. As you know, the Micro-Set will soften up your decal almost instantly.

5. Lee that dry completely and continue on with your finishing process. I don't know if you use any kind of a sealer prior to finishing, but perhaps that might help.

...Just my .02¢. Hope it helps!

Mark

Hal9000

Thanks for your comments guys. I think it's possible that I am leaving most of the adhesive behind on the backing paper when I slide the decal off. I soak it for about 5 sec and slide it as soon as it will move. I am going to try soaking for longer to see if that helps.

Top Bottom