ca finish trouble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jamesbil

I have read all the library tips but still can't get it smooth. I always need to sand it smooth with 400 and apply more. Any tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalper

No answers here, just a comment -- that I've tried the CA / BLO combo and have had problems with it. Maybe I'm just not doing it right :confused:

Warren White

A little applied many times...

One drop of medium CA, applied with a paper towel (folded over to about a half inch), smoothed laterally with the lathe on slow speed.

Put something like 10 coats.

That is what works for me, at least. I had similar issues when I put too much on at a time.

Last edited:

magpens

Similar issues when I started. Discovered, with tutelage, that sanding is a necessity with CA ... sometimes LOTS of sanding.

JimB

We will need more details to be able to help you but here are a couple things. Use thin or medium, not thick CA. Also, only 1 or 2 drops each time. More than that will not come out smooth. It is also not uncommon to need to do some sanding, especially when you are new at it.

jamesbil

I have tried a few different ways of applying.
Maybe I am using too much. I tried a little on the paper, then I tried dropping on the blank as it turned slow and holding the cloth.
The best I did was a little mitre adhesive on grease proof paper.

Mike8850

I use medium CA applied with craft foam and I get a very smooth finish.
I have found that with craft foam you'll use less CA and have more time to smooth your finish.
Mike

Wolfeman46

It seems everyone is different. My very first go with CA was using a paper towel and CA which basically caused it to wrap around the pen and then I had to sand it back down! I'm now using a drop of BLO (boiled linseed oil) then putting a drop of the CA glue (I use medium instant) in the center of the BLO and then apply. After touching it to the pen I just move it left to right very quickly until it's cured then keep moving until it's shiny. I do about 3-5 coats of this and then sand with micromesh pads up to 12000 and then do another coat of the BLO w/ CA and then let it dry!

Top Bottom