Trouble Emedding Objects..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Could be trapped air under the object coming out as the resin flows under but not able to make it to the surface.
I haven't done a lot of casting but I warm my resin in hot water and gently brush a little resin over the object being cast before the hardener is added. then I add my hardener stir gently and pour.

I know there are many out there that do a lot of casting and can likely give a better answer but that's what seems to work for me.

Dai Sensei

Could also be moisture reacting with the PR. Are you casting under pressure?

How dry are your blanks? Old seasoned blanks are not always dry enough due to moisture in the air drawn into blanks.

JohnU

Everyone above offers good advice. No matter what you cast, air and moisture are always going to be issues. I always heat my resin under a clip light to thin it out, allowing it to get in to all the little areas and it lets air bubbles move easier from the objects. Too hot and it will thicken too quickly and not penetrate your material. I also hear my molds while the objects and tubes are in it. This evaporates any moisture on the tube or objects and allows for better resin adhering. I would suggest using pressure when casting with objects. It will prevent air from leaking out of your object as resin cures. I would also recommend vertical casting which will move air away from the tube and object better than horizontal casting.

Some objects will require more attention and steps to prevent air than others. Flat solid objects like coins will have less air issues than stamps or labels because they are paper and hold air, so you may want to seal them. Dried bugs and creatures like scorpions or sea horses are difficult because they have air and moisture inside them. You will want to heat them longer and need more pressure when casting. Snakeskins and feathers are a headache all their own. Nothing is ever the same when it comes to casting and each object offers its own issues. Once you have your basics down it will be an issue of trial and error as your objects change. I always try one at a time changing my steps until I get success. Then I try to be consistent in my process. Good luck and stick with it!

Top Bottom