Transfers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbarbee

I'm very new to pen turning and have been lurking here for some time trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible. There is one aspect of pen turning that really catches my attention. I have seen some pens that might have a name or logo on the pens. From what I understand you do this with a product called transfers? I have seen several posts that mention it in passing but fail to go in depth. I was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction to learn how to do this. I will be working on a pen soon that needs to have a name written on it. Thanks.

David B.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

I can't help you with the transfers or water slide decals, but have you considered the option of the having the pen engraved? There are several folks here that offer engraving services.

soligen

Ryan,

Do you have the specific color number (or whatever) for the krylon you use?

Also, can these be fed through the printer multiple times? Hate to use up one whole sheet for one small logo, and I dont have plans to produce many of these at once.

Thanks

ldb2000

Transfers and water slide decals are two different things .
Transfers are where the image is transfered form a piece of paper to the blank by heat . Photocopies can be used to transfer an image or text , you simply copy your image or text with a standard photocopier (make sure that you use a reversed image or text when you copy it) then using a heat transfer iron (you can use a regular clothes iron on the cotton setting but don't use steam ) and wrap your image tightly around your blank and heat with the iron . The heat will melt the toner on the paper and transfer the melted toner to the wood .
Water slide decals are the same ones you used on plastic models as a kid . You print your image on a special paper then cut the image from the paper and place it in some warm water then slide the decal on to the blank .

dbarbee

Thanks for the distinction. I have some limited experience using the heat transfer method. The method that I'm curious about is the water slide decal method.

Can you see the clear part of the decal after the pen is finished? I haven't seen a pen with a decal on it in person.

David B.

Rick_G

I've used waterslide decals and there are a couple types. One has a clear background to start and the other has a white background that can be made clear. I have only used the kind with the white background and am not totally happy with it. On wood you have to melt it into the wood with real turpentine and then when that dries go over it with oil based poly to turn the background clear. Once the poly is dry a dozen or so coats of med. CA to build up the finish so it is smooth over the decal. I'll use it if I am giving the pen away but if I am being paid for it I have it laser engraved.

RyanNJ

for the water slide decal all i do is print it. it gets 2 coats of krylon. on the blank i put 2 coats of CA and then i cut the decal out and release it from the backing. i place it where i want it and wipe a few coats of Ca over to lock it down and then i start with my CA finish again stopping after coats 1 2 and 3 to make sure the decal did not get messed up. I usually use 7-10 coats of CA on top of the decal i do 2 medium 1 thick 2 medium 1 thick and finish with medium then i see if i can feel the decal edges if so i keep adding ca

PenMan1

David:
If you choose to use water slide decals, it is important to make sure you get the right slide paper for the type printer that you have. If you have a color laser printer, the ink jet paper can ruin your printer. Additionally, neither the laser or the ink jet slide papers work with some of the Canon Selphy (dye sublimation) printers.

The labels all look similar. Make sure you pick up the right box. Testors is a good brand as are many others.

Top Bottom