Tormek Sharpening Advise Sought

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russ Hewitt

First, I hate dull tools. I never do anything small, so I just invested in a Tormek T-7 sharpening system with the Woodturning and Handtool bundles. I am thinking about doing some sharpening for other people to offset some of my expenses. What do you think a fair price would be to sharpen the average turning tool? I am just learning, so it takes me a little bit longer. I can sharpen most tools and 15 to 20 minutes. I am sure that I will be able to do it in 5 to 10 minutes after I get some experience. I will say that you will have a hard time finding a better sharpening job than one made on this machine. It is that good.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I really don't think you will find turners who will hire you to sharpen their HSS turning tools. When i turn I sharpen my tools many times per hour or even much more depending on what I am doing. I may even touch them up after just a few minutes of turning. This includes when making pens. There are some extremely hard woods when making a pen I would sharpen twice.

I don't know any turners who use HSS who don't sharpen very frequently. Part of turning is learning to sharpen.

KenV

You are unlikely to get much turning tool business -- but there is always an opening for sharpening knives for commercial kitchens

low_48

I pay less tha $20 for 3, 12" planer blades sharpened. That is a precision machine ground procedure, with all three blades done at the same time. All three exactly the same height. Not something you will be able to match on a Tormek. I can't see a Tormek being a money making machine since they really seem slow to me.

scotirish

I have both the slow speed grinder and the Tormek system. With the slow speed grinder I can sharpen the tool on about 30 to 60 seconds. To do the same tool on the wet grinder it takes a much longer time. I usually only sharpen the skew and scrapers on the Tormek as it is a much sharper edge and cleaner face.
Just my two cents worth. :biggrin::biggrin:
Ron

Top Bottom