Scraper question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

I purchased a Benjamin's Best 1/2" Round Nose Scraper from PSI. I sharpened it to the original angle, but it doesn't scrape anything.

I understand it needs a burr on the end to do the scraping, but no burr was created when I sharpened it on a low speed grinder using the One-Way jig. I wonder if I have to invest in a burnishing jig as well (which seems to cost more than the tool).

I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thank you!
Warren

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

what angle are you grinding your tool to?

how are you using your scraper?

What height do you have the tool rest set at?

low_48

Scrapers work best when you have two flat surfaces meet. Cheap tools are often over worked at the factory on belt sanders. This gives you a curved surface on top. So sharpen the bevel back further, or flatten the top. Are you aware that the handle must be higher than the cutting edge for a scraper to work properly? Cutting tools are handle down, scrapers are handle up.

Warren White

Thanks!

I have read through the posts and really appreciate the suggestions. I briefly tried my scraper last night when I was turning an egg, and the angle of attack seems to be what I was doing wrong. Handle up, as suggested.

As for the angle that I put on the scraper, I simply duplicated the angle that was sent from the factory. There isn't any curve to the top of the scraper.

I appreciated the two articles John cited. Both were quite informative.

Thanks!

Top Bottom