Tools dragging on tool rest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I have a tool rest with the round rod on the top. Some of my tools have a sharp edge on the shank and seems to drag or catch when turning. My roughing gouges are rounded and have no problem with them. I thought of polishing the top of the tool rest and grinding/filing a small radius on the square tools.
Your advice is appreciated....as always.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robersonjr

Defiantly round over the sharp corners, also file any burrs off the tool rest and a little polish never hurts. V/R Robbie

gtriever

You have the right idea. Sand (if needed) and polish the tool rest, then break the corners on the tools and deburr. I polish the tool rest every couple of days depending on usage.

JimB

You can round the corners on your tools with a file or on a sander. Try just sandpaper on the tool rest first since it is a rounded one. Then apply a little wax to help the tool glide across it.

BTW, a little wax on your lathe bed will help the banjo and tailstock slide smoother and protect it from rusting.

Woodchipper

Thanks to all. Have finished some Pens for Troops and have some time to work on some other things. Polish the tool rest and shaping the square shank tools, cleaning up, moving some shelving, sorting pen making things, cup of coffee or two, marking some cherry wood for our club wood raffle, cutting wood for some turnings, experiment with cork rings for pen blanks, pulling up steps and refinishing, finish trim in foyer and master bath, finishing a bee hive for you-know-who, planning on a clock or pen for our Sunday School Christmas party. Never too early to start. I'm going back to work so I can get some rest!

JimB

Thanks to all. Have finished some Pens for Troops and have some time to work on some other things. Polish the tool rest and shaping the square shank tools, cleaning up, moving some shelving, sorting pen making things, cup of coffee or two, marking some cherry wood for our club wood raffle, cutting wood for some turnings, experiment with cork rings for pen blanks, pulling up steps and refinishing, finish trim in foyer and master bath, finishing a bee hive for you-know-who, planning on a clock or pen for our Sunday School Christmas party. Never too early to start. I'm going back to work so I can get some rest!

Wow, I'm impressed. You did all that on your lunch break from work:biggrin:.

duncsuss

It's probably not causing your problem in this instance, but you might check to see if your tool shafts have become magnetized -- this can cause stickiness moving along the tool rest.

Woodchipper

Wow, I'm impressed. You did all that on your lunch break from work:biggrin:.[/QUOTE]

I'm retired- that's the problem. Need a 48 hour day for at least a week.

Woodchipper

see if your tool shafts have become magnetized
Thanks, Duncan!!! :bananen_smilies047:
I went down to the shop to clean up and put away my pen stuff. On a hunch, I put a nail on the round nose scraper. There was definitely some attraction on the nail. I tried my roughing gouge that I have used in the past. Nothing. How do I demagnetize the scraper?

duncsuss

How do I demagnetize the scraper?

From memory ... there are three ways to demagnetize steel: (1) shock (hit it with a sledge hammer, for example), (2) heat (I don't remember how hot it has to get for the magnetic domains to randomize), (3) a strong alternating magnetic field which fades away (e.g. a "demagnetizing gizzmo" -- they might sell them at HarborFright)

It would be worth looking it up rather than listening to me :biggrin:

Herb G

A sharp rap on a bench top should release any residual magnetism.
As for the gouges dragging on the tool rest, get some Slip-It and rub some on the tool rest & the tool shaft. It should slide right along afterwards.
Rub some on the ways of your lathe too.

Linky

Woodchipper

Got an idea! That's the first for this week. My son is working with a metallurgist. I'll have him ask her what would be a good way to demagnetize the tool.

Top Bottom