Tool Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papaturner

I ran up on a 10 inch bench plane made by Winschester. Does anyone know anything about them?
It looks a good bit like a Dunlap 8 inch bench plane that belonged to my fil
except the Winchester had grooves in the base.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papaturner

Thanks Lenny. It does indeed look like those the one I saw today had a corrugated sole. It is probably a 9 inch by what I saw on rose antiques.
Thanks again I`ll have to see how cheap I can get it.:rolleyes:

JerrySambrook

If you are buying to collect, then go for it. If you are buying it to use, then go for it.
If you are buying it to make money, it may sit for a while, because even though they are not common, they are also not rare.

BKelley

The Winchester plane is very collectable today. At one time 20's, 30's they made quite a few tools. Don't know who the actual manufacturer was, but they did have Winchesters name in familar logo writing. The grooves in the bottom were called coragations (spelling?). Congrads on your find.

Andrew Arndts

corrugated bottom planes are a great tools. Reason being is that the friction that happens on a flat bottom plane is, basically gone.
I am jealous been trying to get one of those for a while. look on youtube for rob cosman he has a video on a company that you can buy new irons to make that plane shave like a $500 one from Lee Valley

At one time Winchester had stores like outlets today that were basically Hardware stores.
I am sure there has to be a web site that is dedicated to the values of antique planes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom