Bushing Storage?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

I use one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/18-divider-storage-container-94456.html I have tried film canisters , plastic parts baggies , even shower curtain rings but each has its limitation . The storage boxes are great , the compartments keep everything separated , if the box falls off the bench it stays closed (always keep it latched) and I label each compartment on the lid so I know which bin has what bushings

witz1976

I use metal shower curtain hooks/loops for all my bushings until I started buying Johnny's bushings (so I can turn between centers) Those I use a small parts bin I found at Lowes

JohnU

I have a plastic drawer cabinet on the wall similar to this, with each drawer labled per pen kit style I make. I keep the bushings and drill bits in the drawer and any pen mill sleeve if needed. The larger lower drawers are great for micro mesh, pen mills and odd drill bit sizes.

Attachments

• multidrawer.jpg
    multidrawer.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

hanau

thanks all, I am going to try the shower curtain hooks for know, But will pick up the storage container type and the plastic drawer cabinet from Harbor freight next weekend.

John

AlanZ

I too use the little containers from the 24 piece HF set. Perfect for bushings. I don't use the larger container... the small containers go into shallow drawers in a wood toolchest (also from HF)

BKelley

All you fellows have great ideas for storage of bushings. It is really a challenge to keep them seperated. I use small plastic medicine bottles from the drugstore. I label each bottle with the bushing makers name and which pen it is used for. I took a maple 2x6, drilled holes with a forster bit that is the right diameter for the bottles 1 inch deep Works great for me.

robutacion

Yeah, greats ideas in here...!!!

I starting using the individual small plastic containers to keep my bushings, each box marked with the kit name and a Roman number type. Then I printed A page with all the kits I use, with that Roman number in front of its name/code in "bold", put in a plastic cover protector and stick in on my working board, near where I have all the bushings store.

Now, and more importantly, you grab your Dramel/engraving tool, etc., and engrave/cut that Roman number into all the bushing of that kit. The engraving needs to be done on the bushing face opposite to the one where the pen barrel goes, and voila...! if kids, accident or a dozen other possible ways to get those un-marked bushings left in the lathe or elsewhere for later sorting, doesn't get done and unless each individual bushing is marked, it always means troubles.

At any time that, I'm unsure what bushings I have in my hands, I simple look at its identification number and match it with the kits chart...!:wink:

It works for me...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I use margarine tubs, one tub per kit. I keep both steel and Delrin bushings in each tub and have room for both my home-made between center bushings and my old mandrel bushings. Since I tend to make spares when I make bushings, I toss them in as well.

I make spare bushings since once I'm dialed in on my metal lathe, it's easy to make one extra perfect fitting bushing. That way, if I screw one up or loose it, I have a spare already made.

Tanner

I have a plastic drawer cabinet on the wall similar to this, with each drawer labled per pen kit style I make. I keep the bushings and drill bits in the drawer and any pen mill sleeve if needed. The larger lower drawers are great for micro mesh, pen mills and odd drill bit sizes.

I use this as well.

Padre

I use these! They are clear, come with labels and tilt out so the bushings don't fall out. They connect together really great.

Attachments

• 31mXKlKr5VL._AA300_.jpg
    31mXKlKr5VL._AA300_.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 152

AceMrFixIt

Thats my storage too. I use the larger spaces for drives. Didnt think about putting the drill bits in there too. Gonna think on that one.

Whaler

Here is a shot of my system the drawers are large enough to hold my closed end mandrels as well. I have my kits stored the same way.

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 169

jbthbt

I really like the new Plano system fishing boxes. They are a standard size and I bought a big box that holds all my bushings, spare parts, small tools, etc. It all fits nicely on a shelf and is really easy to keep organized.

Dudley Young

Store the kits in the large drewers and the bushing next to them in the small drewers. The blanks are in the plastic pickle jars up top. I have 4 of these drewer cabinets so far. Available at Home Depot.

Attachments

• DSC_0761 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0761 - Copy.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 170

Rangertrek

Plastic Tubes

I store mine in plastic tubes that have a top, won't spill if dropped on the floor! The top has a number to the bushing set. I keep them hanging on a rack with the top visible.

Attachments

• IMG_2011 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2011 (Medium).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 140
Top Bottom