Titanium kit question and more

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dow

Okay, this was originally going to be a single question, but has grown to three :biggrin:

1. Is there any ONE source that has good or great pricing on the TiN and black Ti kits? I really prefer this plating to the regular platings (24k gold, chrome, black, gunmetal, satin pearl), and I know that it'll last longer. Additionally, I'm trying to get some inventory built up so that I can sell some pens, and I suspect that going with the harder plating will end up saving me money in the long run, due to fewer returns for failed platings.

If there's not a good single source for a wide variety of kits in the titanium, then who has the best pricing and quality for these kits?

• european
  • polaris
  • cigar
  • sierra
2. Also, which model fountain pen/rollerball design seems to be the most popular?

3. Is there a list anywhere that gives the names that the various suppliers use for the same kits? I've seen that different outfits call the same thing by different names.

Okay, I think that's it for now. Thanks for reading and for your answers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

I think you just have to shop the various vendors and see what they have at the time. Some have sales or promotions at various times. Look under Links, then Vendors for a comprehensive list. I shop mostly at CSUSA and Arizona Silhouette for my kits, but there are a lot of other vendors.

My favorite rollerball/fountain kits are the Jr. Gent and Jr. Statesman series at CSUSA, but again, there are a lot of options.

Check out the Show Off Your Pens page and you will get a good idea what people are putting together.

mrcook4570

1- It depends on how many you plan to order and whether or not one of the vendors is running a sale at the time of your order.

2- Those in the mid-size range.

3- I seem to recall that someone was compiling such a list once upon a time. Unfortunately, I do not recall who this was.

JimMc7

Long answer, but bottom line is not always about the lowest price...

The only kit I use on your list is the Sierra. I prefer the two-tone Sierras (platinum/black titanium & titanium gold/black titanium) and Lee Valley has the best price I've found for the quantity I buy even with the $10 minimum shipping. I buy lots of other stuff from Lee Valley so the shipping usually isn't a big factor. Lee Valley also provides the best customer service for a larger wwing company I've ever experienced. The only downside for a small order is the $10 shipping and they ship Fed-X from NY so can take 4-5 days for the package to arrive.

However, I don't buy all my Sierra kits from LV. Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods has a great selection of acrylics so when I buy acrylics from him I also usually add a few Sierras, too. Ernie has a larger selection of Sierra kits and finishes than Lee Valley (including one of my new favorites, the button click platinum/black titanium two-tone pen). I also get the shipment in 2 days as Ernie IME always ships USPS priority the same day I order. Ernie answer emails very quickly when I have questions or a problem and I like to think I'm helping an individual rather than a company. Worth paying the $10 more on occasion just to help keep Ernie in business IMO.

Arizona Silhouettes has the best selection of wood blanks (and acrylics, too for that matter) so I sometimes get a few Sierras or Barons from them, too. AS also ship very quickly using USPS.

Although not on your list, I often buy Jr Gent II black titanium kits from Exoticblanks.com when I order some of their beautiful pen blanks. Ed & Dawn are active members here so always good to support IAP members.

dow

I think you just have to shop the various vendors and see what they have at the time. Some have sales or promotions at various times. Look under Links, then Vendors for a comprehensive list. I shop mostly at CSUSA and Arizona Silhouette for my kits, but there are a lot of other vendors.

I suspected as much, but thought it was worth asking.

My favorite rollerball/fountain kits are the Jr. Gent and Jr. Statesman series at CSUSA, but again, there are a lot of options.
Thanks, I'll take a look at those.

Check out the Show Off Your Pens page and you will get a good idea what people are putting together.
Will do.

1- It depends on how many you plan to order and whether or not one of the vendors is running a sale at the time of your order.

That makes sense. At this time, I'm not ready to order gobs of pens to get the best prices, especially since I'm not entirely sure which ones I'd like to make the most of or which ones are more likely to be movers in my area. I'll probably be sticking to orders of 10-20 of a given design.

2- Those in the mid-size range.
Guess I'd better get some samples ordered so that I can better judge, then. :)

3- I seem to recall that someone was compiling such a list once upon a time. Unfortunately, I do not recall who this was.
Thanks for that, I'll keep digging. something will come up, I'm sure.

Long answer, but bottom line is not always about the lowest price...

Of course it isn't, :). I never meant to imply that price was my only consideration. However, if I can get a given kit from Dealer A for eighteen dollars, but dealer B has it for sixteen, all other things being equal, then I'm going to be more likely to order from Dealer B. I want to produce the best product that I can, and that means using the best components that I can afford to while still having something to show for my efforts at the end of the day. With that being said, I'm willing to pay more for great customer service, as (i believe) are most folks.

The only kit I use on your list is the Sierra. I prefer the two-tone Sierras (platinum/black titanium & titanium gold/black titanium)
Thanks for mentioning the two-tone Sierra. I didn't know that they made one like that. It's a good looking pen. Your mentioning of combining where it's best to do so is good advice, and I should have thought of that.

Although not on your list, I often buy Jr Gent II black titanium kits from Exoticblanks.com when I order some of their beautiful pen blanks. Ed & Dawn are active members here so always good to support IAP members.
Indeed it is good to support members. I'll keep them in mind as well.

At this point, I'm still getting my legs under me as far as the turning is concerned, and am trying to foresee possible glitches and get them sorted out beforehand. Thanks for all of the great advice!

Top Bottom