Timberwolf Saw blades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Is Timberwolf about the best bandsaw blade, if not what is better, I've been using Lennox 1/2 ion 3 tpi but the last one has not lasted as long as I thought it should, actually a matter of a few hours.
Any suggestions??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

I have been using Timberwolf for many years and am very happy with them. The people at Suffolk Machinery are great to deal with.

jttheclockman

Is Timberwolf about the best bandsaw blade, if not what is better, I've been using Lennox 1/2 ion 3 tpi but the last one has not lasted as long as I thought it should, actually a matter of a few hours.
Any suggestions??

What are you cutting?? Did you check to see if the blade is riding true and not hitting metal anywhere. That can dull a blade really fast,

bitshird

Any suggestions??

What are you cutting?? Did you check to see if the blade is riding true and not hitting metal anywhere. That can dull a blade really fast,

John, I was cutting /resawing Osage Orange and Walnut as well as some large white birch, there's no interference with my guide blocks and not a whole lot of play on the back bearing's.
I think the most damage came from the Osage, it the Walnut and the Birch were all fresh downed wood and no!! the blade doesn't feel like it's gummed up.but there was a good bit of bark on the Walnut and the Osage.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ken,

I have never dealt with them, but you might try calling the manufacturer. Suggest you will buy 4 or 5 blades if they will throw one in for free to replace your "bad experience" blade.

If they have two functioning brain cells side-by-side, they will happily TAKE your offer and keep a good customer. If not, they have earned your exit!!!

FWIW
Marketing guy!!

phillywood

Ken, fr0m our ph conversation, you told me that Osage is a very hard wood to work with. I am guessing that maybe too much heat build up and if you are pushing the wood into the balde with little more force then it heated up causing it to snap. On the other hands, it maybe an inferior weld if it broke at the weld line if not check your tension.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Ken,

What Lenox blades are you using? Like everything, there are better models for different applications. In Osage Orange, I would not want to use anything less than a Lenox Bi-Metal blades such as the Diemaster II. If it is just a plain old Flexback carbon steel Lenox, it is certainly not going to hold up well in OO.

That said, I use a lot of Lenox Flexback plain old carbon steel blades to cut the wood I use in my "Texas Hybrid"™ pen blanks. I used to use the more expensive bi-metal blades but due to all the little rocks that I frequently hit, I decided that the cheapest is best. Sometimes I only get one cut out of a blade before I hit some small rock and have to toss the blade.

IPD_Mrs

The wood working show that comes around once a year to Indy has advertised them as buy 3 and get one free. Since we bought the 14" jet that is about all I use anymore. I use the 1/2" three tooth band for resawing oak that is about 5". Don't have a lift for the saw yet so I cant tell you about anything much over 5".

PenMan1

For resawing, I like the Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking in Atlanta. The are on line, the make custom sizes if you need them, they have the thinnest Kerf of any bandsaw blade, the have a "skip, variable" tooth pitch.

IMHO, they are far superior to the Timberwolf, and cost about the same or less. They saw almost as well as a Laguna.

Texatdurango

Any suggestions??

Last year Wolftat did a group buy on some Laguna saw blades and I got a couple. I have never been as impressed with a band sw blade as I was with these.

I would recommend you have a look at their blades. If memory serves there are frequent group buys on another forum, I think Sawmill Creek.

Or perhaps we could talk Neil into doing another buy from Laguna.

Here is what they look like..... http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59705&highlight=band+blade+group+buy

Wildman

Representative from Suffolk often quoted as saying life of their blades limited to about 200 board feet of cutting. Minerals in wood, wet wood, and bark can really affect blade life. Some wood species tough on blades.

Had a real problem cutting wet Mulberry (similar characteristics of Osage Orange), really gummed up my blade coated with cooking spray. Clean up the blade and continued using until changed blade about a month or two ago.

Since cut a lot of wood with bark, found Lenox flex back 3 TPI hook blades work well with my saw. Yes, blades pretty dull when changed! No idea how many board feet of wood cut with one blade.

Bi-metal or better blade might not work well on my saw. Besides TPI really watch blade thickness, some folks can use .032 thickness blades with no problem. I have never tried.

Top Bottom