TimberBits in Autralia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alparent

Anybody ever purchased from them?
I'm from Canada......anybody from Canada ever purchased from them?
They have free shipping over 80$ but I wonder how bad would duties and taxes be?

Is penblanks.ca about the best options for us Canadiens?

I use to purchase stuff in the USA and get it delivered to my inlaws that spend the winter in Texas and they would bring them back to me. (Cheap shipping and no duties/taxes)

I've been out of the pen turning scean for the last 5 years and just recently rediscovered how much fun it is! But now I'm kind of out of the loop.

Glad to be back!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glenspens

i ordered from penblanks.ca to get some blanks that i could not get(in time.. everyone was out) in the us . called they worked with me. good people... fast shipping,but the shipping oooooo more than the blanks.
Welcome Back

walshjp17

Timberbits -- also a member of IAP -- is an excellent source. They usually pack and ship as fast as some of the other member vendors (Exotic Blanks, Classic Nib, Smitty's). Last order I made was at 9:30 PM Sunday (EDT) and I received my order before noon on Wednesday. No duty.

Duty and import fee's based on the value of what you purchase... I suggest you go to your local post office or the web site and see if they may have that information. Now don't quote me but I believe Canada has a Max before fees and such of $200 Canadian... I believe that is the cut off before I would have to fill out more forms

scotian12

David at Timberbits is great to work with. Check his website for details on free shipping with a minimum purchase. Super fast shipping to Canada as long as you purchase the minimum.
Darrell Eisner...Halifax Canada

Curly

This applies to Canadian customers.

Make sure you have them to ship via the postal system and live with the longer shipping time. If you have them ship with TNT you will get a bill from TNT several weeks later for brokerage and applicable taxes that is ridiculously high. :eek: :eek:

The products from Timberbits are good and they stand behind them like William Wood-Write (penblanks.ca) and the vendors here do.

Lee Valley have some pen making supplies and kits but it isn't as extensive as the suppliers that specialize in it.

lorbay

Anybody ever purchased from them?
I'm from Canada......anybody from Canada ever purchased from them?
They have free shipping over 80$ but I wonder how bad would duties and taxes be?

Is penblanks.ca about the best options for us Canadiens?

I use to purchase stuff in the USA and get it delivered to my inlaws that spend the winter in Texas and they would bring them back to me. (Cheap shipping and no duties/taxes)

I've been out of the pen turning scean for the last 5 years and just recently rediscovered how much fun it is! But now I'm kind of out of the loop.

Glad to be back!

Yes I have. Great to deal with.

Lin.

islandturner

Make sure you have them to ship via the postal system and live with the longer shipping time. If you have them ship with TNT you will get a bill from TNT several weeks later for brokerage and applicable taxes that is ridiculously high. :eek: :eek:

I had this happen, too. I refused to pay, invited them to take me to court, and they eventually dropped it. If you google TNT, there are lots of stories about their shoddy tactics... I don't understand why David uses them...

So as Curly says, use their postal delivery option. My last order from Timberbits took 9 business days to arrive. The order was over $80, so the postage was free.

I try to keep my international orders at approx $150 or less, and never seem to get 'dinged' for duty, pst, gst, etc. If the order gets over $200, you can count of paying the extras.

David at Timberbits is a great guy to work with. Their products and service are absolutely 'first rate'. I recommend them/him highly.

mmayo

I just received my first order last week and like this vendor a lot. Quick service from down under to Long Beach CA. I will buy from them again. Thanks Scott!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I've ordered from them several times - both with TNT shipping and Canada post.

Both methods arrived without a hitch, and without any issues.

Much cheaper than William Woodwrite, and the TNT option can often be faster than shipping within Canada, believe it or not...

arioux

I,ve order lots of stuff from timberbits. Order around $50 almost never get charge custom. And he has a $5 flat rate shipping on order under $80 for regular postage wich i suggest. Overall an order will cost you around half the price of Woodwrhight for the same quality and great service. Order never took more than 10 days to get to me most of the time less.

frank123

Bought a few things from him in the past, not recently, and have good feelings about him. On my list of suppliers to check when I'm looking for something.

Penl8the

I have ordered from Timberbits 4 times. The highest additional cost was the $56 brokerage fee from TNT. The 2nd highest was $52 again TNT. The lowest I paid was about $5 GST - that was shipped here using Austrilia post then Canada Post to my (super) mailbox.

In other words, it depends. My advice is keep the cost order (not including shipping) slightly over $80 AUD to take advantage of the free ship. And request Timbits to ship via Austria Post. And if you are lucky enough like to others who replied, you would not get charged GST (in Alberta, HST in QC)

P.S. Timberbits as a site is great and David Tim is great to deal with. The additional cost is not their fault.

You will not find a better person to deal with, I can order in the early pm and the delivery is on my doorstep by 10am the next morning in Melbourne and that is after a 1000km travel distance.
The other reason why David is good value is he is fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese, this has the benefit of cutting through the middlemen and dealing direct with the component makers.
Regards
Chris

SkookumPens

I have ordered from them several times. The last time was 300 pen kits. They were shipped free and I received them in three days. I was not charged any duty fees. Great products, service, and have been quick to response to any questions.

Craig Chatterton
Puyallup, WA

bluetongue

Have dealt with Timberbits for some time now. I'm from Adelaide Australia and order mostly on Sunday. I receive his automated email thanking me for placing order. I use paypal. On Monday i receive another email informing me my order has been printed and is currently being picked. Later on Monday another email stating my order has been posted. Around about the same time I receive an email from the shipping company giving me notification my parcel has been picked up.

Tuesday morning I track my parcel and it's on board with the delivery driver due for delivery that day. Adelaide is about 1427 kilometres from Sydney so thats quite an effort. No other Australian online shop has offered that kind of service and communication. Others I deal with take a day or two longer and with no communication.

His products are very high quality made to his specs and yes he deals with manufacturers direct and from his blog entries face to face.

Last edited:

furini

I've used Timberbits several times and the service to the UK has been great - but the website has been done for a couple of days now...does anyone know why?

Top Bottom