Cap fitting on Jr Gent 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

I was measuring out the pieces for this fountain pen and discovered that the metal decorative cap piece does not fit tight on the plastic part with the threads. Also, there is a ridge(pointed to with the arrow) that prevents the metal piece from going onto the plastic far enough. I say far enough because I know that typically these go 1-1/2 turns to close. That step limits this one to just shy of 1 turn. I don't recall having this issue with the rollerball kits.
What I'll probably do is turn that ridge down to allow it to go on further and glue the metal to the plastic. I know from experience that if it is not glued, there is a chance that the plastic can be pushed further into the tube and possibly go past the point of allowing the threads to engage.
Has anyone else seen this and would this section be different for the fountain pen as opposed to the rollerball?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• thread_JG2.jpg
    thread_JG2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

This is one of the problems with this series. It is also one of the weak links in the design. The only option you have is to press it together and it will shave some plastic off, then you can glue it in place so it will not come out. If the pen is put together like in the photo the plastic tube can slip and either break/strip and not make good contact. There was a case recently here on IAP that someone had an assembled pen with this very problem.

The other areas is when the body is twisted hard the part that give is where the nib is pressed into the body.

Dale Allen

Thanks for that info Ed. I'm going to use some glue on the inside of the tube where the plastic sits as well. Next time I get a rollerball I am going to be very observant of this. But to tell the truth, I don't think it was an issue. All of those came from the same vendor, CSUSA

Dale Allen

Well, it's as I suspected.
This is the one from a rollerball Jr Gent 2, blk ti.
I tried but could not pull these 2 pieces apart.

Attachments

• ctr_bnd.jpg
    ctr_bnd.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Dale Allen

You misunderstand. This is a different kit than the one in the OP.
I wanted to compare the kit for the fountain pen, which had the issue, with this one for a rollerball. No, I don't want to pull it apart but wanted to see if I could.

Top Bottom