Three for the day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

I got to play in the shop for a while. I finally broke down and tried a button Click Sierra, the Elegant beauty style. . I like it I think, the Long click pen has been my favorite since it came out, but these are pretty nice I guess, All three pens are Birds Eye Maple I purchased from John Gerst, (johnm) some real nice wood, as is the box of HRB I got from him today. First is the Sierra Button click, next is a plain old Diplomat from Exotic Blanks as is the click and the third pen a chrome Streamline , they are all covered with the plasticky stuff, they were slathered with 6 or 7 coats of CA, then wet sanded to 1000 grit then polished with Novus plastic polish and Kiwi waxed and buffed, since today is Wednesday and it's an odd number I applied the CA while standing on the tip toes of my left foot with my tongue dangling out the right side of my mouth and both eyes crossed....
Seriously I know the pics are bad, but the pens do look better in person
and comments are welcome, even some wise cracks .

Attachments

• Birdseys-S-click.jpg
    Birdseys-S-click.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 257
  • Birds-Eye-Diplomat.jpg
    Birds-Eye-Diplomat.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Birdseye-Streamline.jpg
    Birdseye-Streamline.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 221
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
they are all covered with the plasticky stuff, they were slathered with 6 or 7 coats of CA, then wet sanded to 1000 grit then polished with Novus plastic polish and Kiwi waxed and buffed, since today is Wednesday and it's an odd number I applied the CA while standing on the tip toes of my left foot with my tongue dangling out the right side of my mouth and both eyes crossed....
Seriously I know the pics are bad, but the pens do look better in person
and comments are welcome, even some wise cracks .

Definitely a better method than my plain old yellow tee shirt method. Didn't even know the calendar was involved. :biggrin:
Boy there's a lot to learn.

Drstrangefart

If it's any consolation, I clench my teeth, sweat a bit, and stare without blinking when I do CA. I also try to be as still as a statue everywhere but the arm that's applying the CA. Those are all nice pens, as usual.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
The calender thing only applies when the Pledians fire rockets into space and there's A Total Eclipse of the Moon:biggrin:. You also must have your trusty assistant crossing 3 fingers while chanting In A Gadda Da Vida!!!

Andrew Arndts

Photo's are bad:confused::confused::confused:
Heck I wish my pen pic's are this bad

Nice work. though I really didn't know gymnastics were involved in laying a CA finish down.

bitshird

Nice work Ken. You got the "CA Dance" down.

Lupe, I almost stood on the wrong foot, you know how CA works, ya gotta get that right Mojo in, I think it helps if you know a Brujo or a Curandera. It felt funny making pens, I've been milling and turning so much steel for the tools I forgot what started it all. I think it was for FUN..
:peace::peace::peace:

ctubbs

Way to Mr. Ferrell. Three way good pens to be proud of. I do not know what you are seeing in the photos, but they do a good job of showing off your pens. That is what they are all about anyway. Congratulations on becoming re-addicted. Now you have to sell more tools so you can buy more tools and toys. He hehehe. evil grin.
Charles

bitshird

Nice work. though I really didn't know gymnastics were involved in laying a CA finish down.

Oh it's not just gymnastics there's a certain amount of Voo Doo , and altruistic alchemy, and even faith, I wear a Star of David a St. Christoper a Dharma Wheel a statue of Kalli and pray to the east.
In honesty I loose perhaps 2% of my rejects to CA finishes, like today and yesterday shouldn't have worked, Rain Humidity 30 degree temps 72 in the shop, but 25 - 30 MPH winds, that does turn up the static. Really I don't do that much weird stuff, I just do what works for me, it doesn't work all that well for Andrew "animefan" but everyone will find their own way, just keep trying, straight CA finishes for me came easy, buy the 3rd or 4th pen they loo9ked good. BLO/CA I still SUCK, I've tried William Youngs Tutorial and thought I had it down pat, did a couple dozen pens one week and with in two months they all looked like crap so break down a d refinish. One thing I have noticed, and I also noted this in School. The blue auto shop towels on rolls seem to hold the CA longer in a liquid state which lets you get it on a little smoother, Bad part it it really soaks up a lot of glue, but that's a small trade off, Note of caution, the CA will penetrate these towels a little quicker than Bounty or Viva or the store sale brand, I have several Smurffy looking fingertips.

bitshird

I think it was for FUN..

That is what it is all about. The joy of turn and the happiness it brings when they look great like those three do. The click looks good. I may have to break down and try one.

Mike, I'd always had my doubts about the Sierra Click, and with the Long Click why bother,, but I had a customer look for a smaller click and she like the size of the Sierras, I'm not in love with the shorter than normal barrel but it does feel good and it looks nice, I'm doing one in the morning out of HRB for my DR, and yes it's so cold here my nubbin aches like the devil even in gloves.

el_d

Nice work Ken. You got the "CA Dance" down.

Lupe, I almost stood on the wrong foot, you know how CA works, ya gotta get that right Mojo in, I think it helps if you know a Brujo or a Curandera. It felt funny making pens, I've been milling and turning so much steel for the tools I forgot what started it all. I think it was for FUN..

LMAO :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Ken.
I like it, got to try it. Maybe passing an egg over it a few times will help my CA finish out....:wink:

Nice Job Mr. Brujo.:wink:

wizard

Ken, Those are three great looking pens!!!...my favorite is the click pen!
I didn't know that rituals were part of pen turning....learning more every day LOL. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom